Talk

Advanced search

Miserable 9 month old

(9 Posts)
Trussy1 Wed 20-Apr-16 15:20:25

Hi all,

Was wanting some advice with my 9 month old. He has always been so happy and content. It feels like 3 weeks ago a switch flipped and he is so miserable and clingy. He can't play on his own, is at me all the time to be picked up. When he is with me he wants to get down on the floor. He cries when I change his nappy/get him dressed/put him in the high chair. We go to baby sensory and he wasn't even happy there! Its really getting me down that he is so unhappy and its exhausting!

Any advice?

minipie Wed 20-Apr-16 16:17:30

Teething? Mine was very grumpy around the time she started to get the front top 4 teeth (which all came at once about 9-10 months).

Trussy1 Wed 20-Apr-16 16:19:23

Hi,

yeah he is starting to get his 1st tooth at the bottom, I'm not sure is that's it though as calpol and granules don't help at all.

hazelnutts Wed 20-Apr-16 19:41:52

Have a look at the app/book "the wonder weeks", it explains how babies go through leaps in their development which can make them clingy, tearful, frustrated etc.

StinkyMcgrinky Wed 20-Apr-16 19:45:27

DS went through a period of this when his teething really kicked in. It was relentless and I remember crying to my husband and saying "but what if he's like this forever? I love him but I don't like him" blush

A few weeks later his two front teeth AND two top teeth pushed through and he was a totally different little boy. My little boy again. I would have completely disagreed it was teething at the time as I was giving him everything for it.

I hope it settles soon flowers

Trussy1 Wed 20-Apr-16 19:59:06

Thanks for the comments. Stinky mcgrinky, you have just described my break down on Monday. I said it feels like he hates me. So worried he is going to stay like it. I've never wanted teeth more, let's get this out the way.

Thanks again x

StinkyMcgrinky Wed 20-Apr-16 20:10:08

Whether it's teething, growth spurt, frustration at wanting to do something his body won't let him get etc... It WILL pass. We've just got to survive it, give yourself a break! It's OK to not love motherhood every second of everyday

BisherBasherBosher Wed 20-Apr-16 20:13:42

Agree with hazelnutts. The first thing I thought was 'is he in a leap.' Get the Wonder Weeks App, it's very accurate. It makes you realise why they are cranky at certain points in their development and helps you see the light at the end of the tunnel! smile

pointythings Sat 23-Apr-16 20:20:02

9 months is when separation anxiety first kicks in - they realise that when you are not there, you are not there and they don't have the capacity to know that you will be back. So they are mega-clingy. Your best bet is to cuddle and reassure as much as you can - it will make it pass quicker.

You will get a similar peak at age 18 months to 2 years - that passes too.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now