Talk

Advanced search

Bike trailers for toddlers

(6 Posts)
Bails2014 Wed 20-Apr-16 14:05:59

Does anyone use one? After the huge success of a trip to Center Parcs, I'm pondering getting one. I keep my horse about a mile away from home, the short cut down the bridlepath isn't passable even in an off road pushchair and the road way takes in a very fast B road.

It would be fab in summer to cycle to the yard but I just worry about safety and visibility on the roads, to be fair I ride these roads on my horse but she's easy enough to run up the verge in the event of idiot drivers and I always ride out with hi-viz on, plus we're much higher up than a bike so easier for people to see.

I was just wondering if people use them, how they make themselves seen and just how safe are they?

ODog Thu 21-Apr-16 20:26:33

We use a toddler seat that fixes on the back of our bikes. DS loves it and is up high so he can see everything. It's a hamax one. They have them in halfords.

moggle Fri 22-Apr-16 11:31:19

We have a front bike seat but I personally wouldn't take my DD on my bike on a fast windy country road. How fit are you, and how heavy is the toddler, what about a rucksack to carry them in on the walk down the bridle way?

ODog Fri 22-Apr-16 11:53:22

I have to disagree with moggle a little bit. We have taken DS down country roads (as that's where we live) as well as residential roads and cycle paths along busier roads. We actually feel safer with him on the country roads. There are lots of cyclists where I live so motorists are used to it and there are far fewer cars that pass us. Each to their own obviously but just wanted to give an alternative view.

MigGril Fri 22-Apr-16 11:58:41

I was never that keen on the seats that went on the bike. Made me feel unbalanced. Had a large double trailer, mainly used it on cycle paths. But it was bright yellow and they come with flags that sick up did viability.

Great thing I liked about the trailer was that of the bike goes over the trailer stays upright.

Equimum Sat 23-Apr-16 08:58:56

I know it doesn't get round the height issue, but you could still wear all your hi-viz clothing on the bike.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now