Talk

Advanced search

keeping them entertained

(9 Posts)
iemma321q Mon 18-Apr-16 15:31:29

I'm currently on maternity leave and my boy is six months old. It is only Monday afternoon and already I'm running out of ideas of how to keep him entertained/ happy. Any suggestions? Not sure i'm going to make Friday at this rate!!!! He seems bored of his toys and they only keep him occupied for a few minutes. I love spending time with him but my inspiration for new ideas has run dry. Please help!

Newtobecomingamum Mon 18-Apr-16 23:06:42

Garden centres and large pet/fish stores. My little one loved looking and touching plants/animals, seeing all the colours and movements etc. Also, local children's centres should have a weekly time table of classes. Libraries also have story and rhyme times.

iemma321q Tue 19-Apr-16 08:30:13

Garden centre is a great idea of something new to try - thanks.

We've been using the children's centre but due to recent budget cuts they are hardly offering anything suitable this term - such a shame!!

peg90 Tue 19-Apr-16 09:49:56

I'm in the same boat as you. My DD is 6 months too and teething (so extra fussy!) But I try to arrange something for everyday even if it's just something small. Yesterday her Granda took her a walk around town for an hour or so. Today we are going swimming then to her 6 month appt. Tomorrow we have a soft play group for 45 mins then the supermarket in the afternoon. Thurs her Dad comes home.

The rest of the time she likes being in her Jumperoo, lying on the floor and trying to roll over and putting things she shouldn't, in her mouth.

DD currently loves the clothes aisles in supermarkets so maybe you can treat yourself while you're there! grin

rubberducker Tue 19-Apr-16 10:47:26

Look for local playgroups - most round here only cost a couple of quid and you get a cup of tea and a snack for the children included.

If budget isn't a problem then what about things like baby swimming lessons, or even just taking her on your own.

At that age I found the main thing was just getting out the house for a bit every day to give them a change of scenery. They seemed to enjoy a trip in the trolley around the supermarket as much as the more organised stuff we did!

iemma321q Tue 19-Apr-16 23:04:10

What toys would you all recommend?

Coconut0il Tue 19-Apr-16 23:27:02

DS2 is 8 months, his favourite place seems to be the supermarket blush or anywhere he can be a bit nosey.
As well as his toys, his favourite at the minute is DS1 small football, he likes a washing up bowl of water to splash everywhere. Luckily it was nice today so we sat outside with it.
DS2 has quite a few toys from DS1. He likes the one that makes the rain sound and he has one where you press or twist a button and an animal pops up.
Today he has mostly played with his toothbrush, a plastic tub, a saucepan, a malteasers box and a wooden spoongrin
He loved his jumperoo but being a chunky monkey he's grown out of it.

Pollyputhtekettleon Thu 21-Apr-16 11:26:10

Don't worry about entertaining them when they ate so small. Everything is entertainment!!! Go where you want to go and do what you want to do while you still can. Baby will get lots of stimulation out if cafes, museums you want to go to, riding on the bus, shopping, meeting your friends for coffee etc.

skankingpiglet Thu 21-Apr-16 13:14:03

When my DD was 6mo I went to a group of one sort or another everyday to get us out of the house and provide a bit of structure. TBH they were more for me. Sure she liked having some new toys to play with/songs sung to her but she would have been happy going anywhere that gave her something new to look at. I would take her on errands which she was more than happy to do. The only activity that was particularly beneficial were her swimming lessons, as that's a process that relies on a build up of skills and confidence she couldn't gain elsewhere. Swimming was and continues to be a huge expense however.

I'm due DC2 in June, and they will just tag along with DD and I joining in where possible, there won't be any dedicated baby groups except the swimming. I don't think they'll have missed out on anything.

Ideas on how to fill your time would be to check out local groups as they are a really good way to meet other mums, but also to just go about your day to day life with stuff you would like to do: meet friends for coffee, a walk in the park, errands, etc. There aren't that many things you can't take the baby along to, although they may need a bit more careful planning.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now