Talk

Advanced search

Orthotics and plimsoles. Help please!

(8 Posts)
abigboydidit Sat 16-Apr-16 21:59:35

DD was diagnosed with juvenile arthritis when she was 1 & as well as other treatments, she needs to have orthotic insoles in her shoes. They are just like little arches, nothing major. She is now 3 & going to start school nursery but they ask for children to bring plimsoles (think they are sometimes called sand shoes?) for activity sessions. Her insoles won't fit in the usual plimsoles I have tried as the top part of the shoe isn't high enough. School has said she can wear trainers but she will be different from the rest of the class and that tends to upset her. Does anyone know of plimsole type shoes that would accommodate an orthotic? Thanks in advance.

hazeyjane Sat 16-Apr-16 22:03:33

You might have more luck finding some black trainers in the boys department. Ds is in splints and wears cheap Asda trainers in black, as they are the only ones that fit over the splints.

abigboydidit Sat 16-Apr-16 22:09:34

Oh! The great gender divide hmm That hadn't even occurred to me so thank you! Will try the boys sections next.

Lucsy Sat 16-Apr-16 22:12:21

Agree. Ds had them in black cheap plimsoles when he was younger.

Lucsy Sat 16-Apr-16 22:12:45

Sorry. Boys ones.

hazeyjane Sat 16-Apr-16 22:15:08

You might also have to take out the insole that is in there in order to fit the orthotic in. By the way - Doc Martens are great for orthotics, look lovely on little girls and you can get some very decorative ones now that I want for myself

TrixieBernadette Sat 16-Apr-16 22:19:12

My DS is hypermobile - he has to wear boots as opposed to shoes for school, and has had to wear high top trainers as opposed to plimsolls. Once or twice in reception he got a little upset as he was "different" but the teacher and I soon reassured him, the class was spoken to and 3 years on no one bats at eyelid at his slightly different footwear

abigboydidit Sun 17-Apr-16 10:07:09

Thanks everyone for the reassurance. Off to look at black boys trainers just now!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now