Talk

Advanced search

Returning to work, any tips on how to make life work?

(6 Posts)
Nottalotta Sat 16-Apr-16 15:17:47

Ds is 9months soon. I go back to work 3 days a week on Wednesday. Dm and dmil are sharing the childcare. Alternating one and two days a week each. I am totally happy with dmil. Dm, well her life is abit busier more chaotic but I am hoping it settles down into a routine.

Any tips for me to make the transition go as smooth as possible?

uhoh2016 Sun 17-Apr-16 03:41:22

Be as organised as you can clothes lifted out and bags packed the night before

PumpkinPie2013 Sun 17-Apr-16 20:01:10

I work full time and the things that help me are;

I have an ironing lady who collects and delivers (we have work clothes that need ironing!)

I do click and collect shopping so I pick up on my way home once a week to save doing it at the weekend. I place an order each week with my butcher so again just run in and collect it.

My work diary and personal diary are synchronized on my phone to avoid me forgetting anything.

Meals are planned for the week and midweek meals are as simple as possible.

Everything is organised at night, clothes, lunches, bags etc.

Housework is done as we go as much as possible and I make sure the kitchen is tidy and dishwasher on every night - can't stand getting up to a messy kitchen!

I make a real effort to make bath time special each night so I feel I have quality time with ds. If it's nice, I take him to the park after nursery as well smile

Try to.plan something nice to do at weekend as well.

Good luck smile

Nottalotta Sun 17-Apr-16 21:23:18

Thank you. I'm a bit worried about bedtime as I won't get home til 5.45 and bedtime starts at 6! Thanks for the tips. I'm in denial atm.

BackforGood Sun 17-Apr-16 21:27:10

Are they looking after them at their houses, or at yours ?

If theirs, then invest in a few extra things and leave stuff at their houses rather than trying to take stuff back and forth every day and remembering what stuff needs topping up. They won't need spare clothes for a while, but then will need 3 lots in a day, for example.

If you won't get home until 5.45, then what has been your routine whilst you have been a SAHP, is likely to change. Go with the flow. Don't fret about it. You work out a new routine that suits your family.

Nottalotta Sun 17-Apr-16 21:42:25

The mums will have him.at theirs. Mil will bring him home, my mum will bring him to my work (lives in the other direction)

I will need changes - explodapoos are not unheard of! I'm doing a nappy bag with clothes, and I've got a bag for fave toys, and have got bibs, sippy cups etc for their houses. I'm sure it'll be fine. Ugh.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now