pillow for 2 yr old?

(15 Posts)
Sparklycat Fri 15-Apr-16 22:09:57

My 2 year old has never had a pillow and seemed quite happy. However she got given one of these soft toy fold out pillows a couple of days ago and since then has loved going to sleep and naps with it. I have sneaked in and taken it away when she's been asleep as I'm concerned they aren't breathable? I've tried to attach a pic, hope it works. She's woken up screaming for it each time she's noticed though confused she uses it like a proper pillow so I'm wondering if the time has come to get one.

I'm on the search for a breathable one as I'm paranoid about suffocation, any recommendations? I'd like to find a fun animal theme cover for it so she loves it as much as this other one.

Or alternatively is this soft toy pillow she already has safe??

uhoh2016 Fri 15-Apr-16 22:27:03

My 13mo has a pillow albeit quite a thin flat one he has done for a couple of months now

southlondonluxe Fri 15-Apr-16 22:47:09

Why are you worried it wouldn't be safe? She is 2 so can move head / push pillow off etc if pillow was on face

Sparklycat Sat 16-Apr-16 06:59:52

Yes that's what I'm worried about, I don't know what age they have enough 'awareness' in their sleep to wake up and move if for example she's in a face down position on it and can't breathe properly. That's why I'm asking for advice grin

RNBrie Sat 16-Apr-16 07:05:20

The guidelines say children over 12 months can have a pillow.

I wouldn't have an issue with this at all.

daisydalrymple Sat 16-Apr-16 07:14:30

DS1 ((9) has one of these, (in his football team mascot). I have to admit I would probably be unlikely to allow a2 yr old to use it. Dc3 is 17mo and absolutely no way would I consider it safe for him. Is there no recommended age on it?

I'd get a proper pillow ASAP and hope for the best. Dc3 has an anti allergy cot size one from mothercare, as pp have said, they're fairly flat.

eurochick Sat 16-Apr-16 07:39:25

I'd get a proper toddler pillow for her.

Sparklycat Sat 16-Apr-16 07:39:35

Thanks, it does seem a lot less safe than a pillow and I worry about fluff/fibres. She woke up sobbing for it again this morning so I need to formulate a plan where it becomes 'car pillow' and stays there or something. Maybe a proper pillow with a fun cover will help, shopping today!

daisydalrymple Sat 16-Apr-16 13:24:50

Do they do a smaller teddy version of the one she has by any chance? Often they do complementary products to these things?

Sparklycat Sat 16-Apr-16 19:50:16

Oh that's a good idea, I would never have thought of that thanks!

BertieBotts Sat 16-Apr-16 19:58:37

They are not recommended under 3 years. It's not the same thing as a normal pillow.

I think I gave DS an old, flattish pillow at that age. Just an ordinary one which had lost some of its fluff over the years.

BertieBotts Sat 16-Apr-16 20:00:41

Don't google. But unfortunately it seems there has been a case with an 18 month old dying because they were sleeping with the pillow pet. I think that an older child would be okay but I'd wait for 3+ and look for a normal kind of pillow for now.

BertieBotts Sat 16-Apr-16 20:03:52

Also, do you know if it's an official pillow pet or a copycat type one? The official ones are quite expensive and the copycats are widely available. Check for a CE mark on the label.

Sparklycat Sat 16-Apr-16 20:21:17

Eeek!!! It's definitely not staying in her cot now confused

PastaPrincess Sun 17-Apr-16 12:55:43

Could you get her a pillow with a case she'd love to take the sting out of not sleeping with the animal one? DS has pillowcases with different animals/characters on them which he really likes.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now