Hydroceles and undescended testicles.

(6 Posts)
Writerwannabe83 Fri 15-Apr-16 12:34:31

Can I ask people please of their experiences with their sons being diagnosed with a hydrocele or an undescended testicle?

When it was detected and what treatment was needed? And how quickly was the treatment given?

I'm asking as I'm currently in the process of deciding whether to put a complaint in about my own experience and so I'm interested how mine compares to others.

Thank you.

Blueberry234 Fri 15-Apr-16 12:37:58

My son had a hydrocele noticed around the age of 2, saw surgeon who wanted a watch and wait approach, regularly monitored and it healed itself and he was discharged around the age of 3 and a bit

ProbablyMe Fri 15-Apr-16 12:41:42

Both my sons testes were undescended as part of another medical condition. It was detected soon after birth. It was recommended that he had surgery to sort them out before 18 months to preserve future fertility(he was under Great Ormond Street at that point). He had them brought down laparoscopically over two surgeries at 8 and 13 months. They did it over two surgeries as they were very high up and they didn't want to damage them by pulling them down too quickly.

HerRoyalNotness Fri 15-Apr-16 12:47:56

DS was diagnosed with UDT at 18mths, surgery happened pretty quickly. it was noticed originally by his CM when she changed his nappy! 'Rockstar' Dr who attended birth missed it, newborn nurse missed it, and so did we.

Interestingly they were conduction a study at the hospital to see if environmental factors were a cause. I asked for the results of his sample as I was pregnant in a town with a problem industrial site spewing forth bad things, but didn't ever receive them.

uhoh2016 Fri 15-Apr-16 15:41:42

All 3 of mine had a hydrocele all fixed naturally within about 6-12m no treatment needed. Ds2 and 3 both had hyperspadias ds2 needed a small op ds3 wasn't bad enough to need an op. All was diagnosed at birth.

Writerwannabe83 Sat 16-Apr-16 21:37:59

probablyme - was the decision to have surgery made straight away as opposed to taking a "wait and see" approach to see if they descended themselves?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now