Talk

Advanced search

Tell me some lovely nursery stories please!

(17 Posts)
Niknak1980 Thu 14-Apr-16 10:50:40

I'm back at work full time in 4 weeks and my DD will be 11 and 1/2 months old, but she's still pretty clingy! Visits are set up soon so I'm sure it'll all be ok but it'd be great to hear some lovely stories of how much other people's babies settled in and enjoyed it xx

wonkylegs Thu 14-Apr-16 11:07:34

My son was at nursery FT from 7mths to 4yrs - after a settling in period he loved it and often didn't want to leave the toys at the end of the day. He was quite sad when he had to leave to go to school. He had a few key workers over the years but they were great and he made some good friends whilst there.
They did lovely trips, he especially loved going on the bus (as we lived on the metro route we didn't use the bus at home so it was very exciting from nursery) and activities and I think they gave him a good start when he showed an early interest in reading.
They even coped with the rare crisis really well - nursery roof fell in with water during a freak storm and they had to evacuate - the whole area was in chaos and they dealt with it amazingly well, kids thought it was a game, despite what could have been a very frightening experience and they were in high spirits whilst waiting for parents to struggle through the floods.
Sometimes things weren't perfect - they occasionally made mistakes with the billing etc but on the whole it was a very positive experience.

TheWoollybacksWife Thu 14-Apr-16 11:19:47

My childminder decided she was finishing and gave me 24 hours notice to find alternative childcare.

I had to send my DD to the only nursery that had a space. I took her on her first day and she had no settling in sessions whatsoever. She was about 15 months old at the time. She loved it from the start. The staff were brilliant and very welcoming and she made some really lovely friends.

BTW she is still good friends with two girls she met there and they are all now in 6th form.

Pancakeflipper Thu 14-Apr-16 11:28:18

My DS1 was 12 months old when he started nursery.
He was there until he went to school.

It's a shabby hut type of place. But safe/secure and full of love and fun.

He made close relationships with the staff and still recalls their names and waves to them when we see them.

He loved the playing out, walks they went on, trips out to farms etc. Loved the day the police came to visit (to chat to the children and let them set the siren off in the car - not to arrest anyone).

There were many deaths to get through with hamsters/gerbils/fish etc.. But they coped well.

He made a very special friendship with another child at nursery, they didn't go to primary together but 10 yrs after first meeting they are still in touch and see each other at holiday time.

He's always been a super shy boy but they gave him confidence in that his voice was as worthy as anyone elses voice, so he's always been able to speak out when he believes in something.

There's been the odd niggle over the years but felt able to talk to the staff and get things sorted. Also found them incredibly flexible - they always were with the ones who paid on time!

DS2 went to the same nursery. He had many health issues and they supported him all the way and ensured he was included in everything. They really worked extra hard for my boy.

It's not easy handing over but they will have new experiences and lots of giggles and fun.

I haven't mentioned the education side - that happened too but it was the fun and family feeling that sticks in our memories.

Niknak1980 Thu 14-Apr-16 12:16:31

They're such lovely stories, thank you, I know she'll have a great time as she's so nosey inquisitive but all I hear from my friends is how awful the initial leaving them is. Thankfully I think she's getting more relaxed when I'm not around and I think she'll forget all about me while she's having fun x

PumpkinPie2013 Thu 14-Apr-16 20:30:25

My son started full time nursery at 10 months and is now 2.5 years.

He has honestly loved it from the start and now he is in the older room he has a group of little friends there and has really close relationships with the staff smile

They do so.many activities that I would struggle to do at home and he learns so much.

I'm sure your daughter will be fine smile

MrsA2 Thu 14-Apr-16 20:40:01

My little girl started at 9 months, she's 20 months now. She chats away about her friends and the staff at nursery, and often tries to run back in to continue playing. Settling in can take a little while so don't be put off if you get crying on drop off to start - just call up 10'minutes later and they are bound to be playing happily by then!

LillyBugg Thu 14-Apr-16 20:42:05

My son went just before his first birthday and he was and still is a very clingy child. But he loves nursery. He pulls at the front door trying to get in and when I pick him up he is in no hurry to leave! It took about seven weeks for him to really settle, but honestly he is so happy there. It took time but it wasn't as painful as I thought it would be.

Andcake Thu 14-Apr-16 20:45:15

Ds started at 2 yo and I can honestly say I shed more tears than him. He loves it has lots of friends - talks about what he does.

Chinks123 Thu 14-Apr-16 20:52:39

My DD started at 2 and she absolutely loves it! I've never had tears from her either when we go, she was so excited the first time. Sometimes I get "no not nursery today I want to go shopping" grin but she loves it once there! The staff love her, she's confident and her nursery rhyme knowledge has improved smile The first day was fine, like I said no tears from her, it was me that cried when I got home I admit! I still get a pang when she waves from the window, but she's so happy to go. I'm not sure what I'd do if she hated it sad your DD will be fine, and the "yey mummy" you get at pick up is amazing.

Newtobecomingamum Thu 14-Apr-16 21:28:34

My son started at 10m and absolutely loves it. You need to accept that your little one will prob cry and be upset when you start leaving them, but within minutes of going and looking back through the window they are absolutely fine. My son gets so excited now about going. Also, think of all the great benefits they get, social, educational and lots of fun in a safe and fun environment : D

Niknak1980 Fri 15-Apr-16 11:09:48

I love hearing that your babies have made great friends (to 6th form - wow!) and how loving and caring you've all found it. I know it will all be ok, but hearing personal experiences makes me feel so much better xxx

LongHairDontCare Fri 15-Apr-16 11:22:43

Can I post from a nursery staff members point of view? I worked in a nursery until I left for maternity leave to have DS and wasn't able to go back.

It is really lovely to watch so many different, wonderful children grow, to see the excitement when they learn new things and want to share that with you. It's also lovely to know the parents trust you to look after their children, and to know you helped the children develop.

I missed the children after I had left very much.

Niknak1980 Fri 15-Apr-16 14:48:21

Thank you longhairdontcare that's really good to know too, I teach in a primary school so I know how rewarding it is to be part of a child's development and watch them grow up. The staff where she's going do seem very nice so hopefully she bonds with them and makes lots of little friends grin

Dixiechick17 Sat 16-Apr-16 00:27:48

My DD is 10 months and started nursery one day a week from six months, I recently returned to work and she now does three full days, she loves it and I always happy when I go and pick her up. They were showing some parents around the other day and my DD kept giggling at one of the Mums, she said that it was obvious the babies were happy there going by my DD smile She does cry sometimes when I drop her off but once I exit the room I can here that she's stopped and know she'll be happily playing in few minutes smile

ParsleyTheLion1 Sat 16-Apr-16 13:09:52

My DS has been at nursery since 11 months (he's 15mo now). He adores it. I adore it and would love to spend the day there too rather than go to work! The staff are so so kind and cheery. Any staff we see in the morning (i.e. not just those who work in the 'baby room' where he is) greet him so warmly, and he often has massive grin when he sees them.
The only drawback we've experienced is the number of bugs he's caught. We spent what feels like a winter leapfrogging from bug to bug.
Do visit plenty of nurseries before you decide on one. I visited 7 in total, and there were many where various things put me off.

Pico2 Sat 16-Apr-16 13:31:33

My DD1 left nursery for reception in September. She still comes into her old nursery with me to pick up DD2. While I head into DD2's room, DD1 goes into the older room. She still loves the staff and I have come to get her, only to find her sitting down with the other children for a snack. She has also read a story to some of the children, which was really sweet and I think the staff were also really pleased to see it as she couldn't read when she left nursery, so it's a big change. Nursery was a huge part of her life and the relationships she made with the staff and other children were real and enduring.

They say 'it takes a village to raise a child' and that sort of community doesn't exist in many places, but DD's nursery experience makes me think of that.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now