Will punching exercises affect toddler behaviour??!

(10 Posts)
oneconfusedchick Sun 10-Apr-16 08:04:26

I'm not really sure where to put this . I can often find mothering a newborn and toddler overwhelming and frustrating sometimes I feel quite trapped and really feel the need to let off steam my question is how do you do that when you are constantly looking after a newborn who cries when you put him down ? Sometimes I find doing some punching exercises helped to destress but I am worried that doing this could influence my toddlerS behaviour and encourage him to punch... So am not sure it's ok to do in front of him???!

ChannelFiftySeven Sun 10-Apr-16 08:08:09

It depends on lots of things. Whether your toddler is able to understand it's an exercise etc, acceptable places / circumstances to perform the actions.

There is a lot of research into modelling behaviour in child development (right back to Bandura and Bobo dolls and before!)

If in doubt just do the exercises when the toddler isn't around - problem solved!

Thisisnotausername Sun 10-Apr-16 09:57:20

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

KatyN Sun 10-Apr-16 11:23:42

My husband and son play fighting a lot. He us now 4 and I think it really helps him. I read something that talked about learning to control aggression being a vital skill. So when they play fighting they can hit, trip etc. This is unacceptable behaviour when they are not playing.
Hope that makes sense kx

Wolfiefan Sun 10-Apr-16 11:25:53

I go to a body combat class and have taken my kids. That's fine.
Not sure that punching randomly in the house because you are stressed is that good.

Imeg Sun 10-Apr-16 12:39:54

Can you do punching exercises in a specific place in the house with a pillow or cushion or something and maybe a specific piece of music on? So it is clear to the toddler that punching is ok in those specific circumstances but not otherwise? In that case I can't see a problem.

Imeg Sun 10-Apr-16 12:42:29

Ps If done in a controlled manner I would think it is positive to show your toddler that when you are frustrated you have an outlet for it that doesn't hurt anyone. I have various issues which I am beginning to realise are caused by bottling up my feelings and staying outwardly very calm and I think it would be much better if I had a strategy like yours (I may even try it!).

ChannelFiftySeven Sun 10-Apr-16 14:36:30

As others have said internalising negative feelings such as frustration or anger can be really harmful. Finding an outlet is indeed a positive thing.

However I would just be mindful of teaching a strategy that involves a physical expression of emotion.

Punching, combat sports, exercise, etc are all great activities to use as a preventative measure against bottling up feelings and to promote good mental well being. The problem arises with punching as an expression of emotion when the person is in a situation where an emotion is evoked and they are unable to use the physical expression. If they haven't been taught a way to deal with the emotion in another way it can get problematic.

I agree with what others have said about this sort of exercise being positive in the right circumstances though.

oneconfusedchick Sun 10-Apr-16 18:38:49

Thanks - today I have managed to do some punches (they are ones I learnt from the 30 day shred) away from my toddler ... They def help me De stress a bit - sometimes I think of my old boss and imagine im punching him too which I do have to admit feels pretty good (controlling w**ker) Am hoping to try some gym/ body combat soon baby still young tho so might wait a bit.

MadamDeathstare Sun 10-Apr-16 18:40:30

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now