how much should my 6 month old be eating and how many bottles of milk???

(9 Posts)
Stephie85 Fri 08-Apr-16 23:33:43

How much should my 6 month old be eating and how many bottles should he be having really don't know what I should be doing X

EsmesBees Fri 08-Apr-16 23:41:04

Doesn't it say on the side of the formula packet? I don't think they are meant to be eating any food really at that age.

SerenityReynolds Fri 08-Apr-16 23:45:18

I think at 6 months, babies should still be getting pretty much all their nutrition from milk. I believe the recommendation is to keep milk feeds the same until baby starts dropping them as they take on more solids. We started with just one meal a day of solids (we did purees mainly, so a large ice cube size of whatever, with finger food after a couple of months). Then gave 2 meals, then 3. DD gradually started taking less milk feeds, but it took a few months. Have you spoken to your hv about it? They had some useful resources when I asked.

MargaretCabbage Fri 08-Apr-16 23:55:00

I wouldn't worry about how much food he's eating. 'Food is for fun until they're one' - the important thing is to offer a good variety of food and you can increase the amount if he wants more but don't worry if most of it goes on the floor or he's not interested sometimes. He will cut down on milk himself as he starts eating more.

Caterina99 Sat 09-Apr-16 01:06:46

All babies are different, so it just depends on your baby.

At 6 months my ff ds was offered 5 8oz bottles a day and barely any food. Literally a few mouthfuls once a day. Once he started eating more he dropped to 4 bottles, and now at 9 months he eats 3 meals a day and has 3 8oz bottles. Purely based on baby group babies, it's very varied how much food and milk they all eat!

Stephie85 Sat 09-Apr-16 08:06:08

My hv is pretty crap only seen her twice since my lb was born so don't get any info or help pretty much winging it , my lb has been weaning since 5 and half months and now nearly 7months just didn't know if he should be on the next stage of milk while weaning or if he should be established first before I move on to the next stage of milk ? He has milk first thing than next bottle he has porridge and a bottle then at lunch I give him purée and bottle then a bottle for the next feed then a dream feed later on X

Nan0second Sat 09-Apr-16 08:11:29

You don't need the next stage of milk at all. It was only invented so formula companies can get round advertising rules!

Food / milk wise, carry on what you're doing and gradually you'll find baby drinks less at particular feeds and then you'll know which ones to reduce / drop...

Nan0second Sat 09-Apr-16 08:13:06

If he's eating well, you can start dinner too and swap the dinner time bottle for food.
Remember you don't need purée at this age though so just keep reducing how smooth it is and add more interesting stuff (carbs and protein not just veg)

Mummyme87 Sat 09-Apr-16 10:23:28

I offered my boy the same food more or less that I was eating throughout the day, so all meal times and anytime I had a snack, then he was having 6-8oz milk 3hourly during the day. He reduced the milk himself and started eating more as time went on. Food is fun before one

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now