Talk

Advanced search

confused about formula and cows milk amounts

(12 Posts)
ItsLikeRainOnYourWeddingDay Tue 05-Apr-16 15:38:23

My DS is 14 mo and to be honest not a great eater. Quite fussy but a healthy weight so HV not concerned.

I am confused as to how much cows milk to give him per day and how much formula? I have him on stage one milk still and he gets about 400mls/13oz a day. He gets this half in a morning bottle and the other half in a bed bottle. He also has about 250mls/8oz cows milk spread throughout the day along with plenty water.

Is this too much formula? I haven't reduced his formula much further as I am concerned he isn't having a balanced enough diet. He will eat plenty at lunch and dinner but it tends to be the same stuff all the time. Not much adventure in him to try lots of different stuff.

Any words of widom?

MummaGiles Tue 05-Apr-16 15:41:08

I wouldn't be bothering with formula any more unless he isn't taking to cows milk. My little boy is the same age and went onto cows milk around his birthday, we haven't used formula since. My DS loves his milk and has a bottle of around 7-9oz in the morning, same before bed. He has water to drink the rest of the day

MummaGiles Tue 05-Apr-16 15:42:18

Re-reading your post, that sounds like a lot through the day - could he be filling up on milk, so not eating other food? Each baby is different tho!

mrsmugoo Tue 05-Apr-16 15:45:27

I think at 14m mine was just having cows milk in a sippy at bedtime and milk on his breakfast that's it (plus cheese, yoghurt etc...). Water whenever he wanted it throughout the day, he has a straw beaker out all the time.

It does sound like a lot of milk!

dementedpixie Tue 05-Apr-16 15:46:28

They only need 300mls of cows milk per day to get their calcium requirements from the age of 1. No need for any formula

dementedpixie Tue 05-Apr-16 15:47:33

He won't eat if he is full of milk

nannynick Tue 05-Apr-16 16:07:52

I would try reducing total milk intake a bit and see what difference it makes.
I would phase out the formula milk. Offer water or cows milk instead for the morning.
Bedtime routine you want to try to keep the same so swap that milk when the tub runs out - keep saying "getting low on powder, do you want milk from the fridge?"

With meals offer small amounts of finger food. Also introduce new food by showing that you eat it - he may like to sample what is on your plate (so don't use lots of salt).

ItsLikeRainOnYourWeddingDay Tue 05-Apr-16 16:40:40

Thanks everyone. I do wonder if he is filling up on milk but if he doesn't eat what is offered I'm worried he isn't getting enough calories or nutrition so he gets the formula. Ugh I think I need to maybe half the formula and see if that increases his appetite and heh get rid of it altogether. I just don't want him not eating solids and not getting milk and then starting to wake during the night with hunger again

slightlyinsane Tue 05-Apr-16 16:42:47

As others have said I'd reduce milk intake, save for morning, night, cereal and cooking and water or juice throughout the day.
With regards to formula v's cows milk this is totally up to you.
My eldest was easy, swapped straight over to milk at 1 no problems because she had a good diet. The next 1 was a nightmare (still can be at 8!) I didn't swap her to cows milk until she was 3 1/2. She had an exceptionally restricted diet and I felt the benefit of formula far outweighed cows milk, I did move her onto stage 2/3 formula to make sure the vitamins and iron were correct for her age.
I also did the same for my ds, he swapped to cows milk around 2 ish.

SweepTheHalls Tue 05-Apr-16 16:44:10

They need remarkably little milk at this age, and in cups not bottles if possible. I had to get tough on milk as DS2 wouldn't eat anything if he was allowed as milk as he wanted! (that is still true even now he's 5!)

MrsJayy Tue 05-Apr-16 23:53:04

I think the formula is probably bagging him up so hes not really hungry offer him milk follow on or cows as a drink along with meals and see how he goes

MrsJayy Tue 05-Apr-16 23:56:38

My dds were still having formula they never took to toddler milkn at night at your ds age it was the last bottle to go so you could give him formula at night

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now