Talk

Advanced search

What outdoor toys for 1 year old?

(16 Posts)
Amberlight003 Wed 30-Mar-16 19:52:07

can you recommend some of the best outdoor toys for a 1 year old?

Also any decent play tents, if s which ones?

polkadotdelight Wed 30-Mar-16 19:53:41

The cosy coupe car and a plastic wheelbarrow & watering can are our 18 month olds favourites.

Nicknamegrief Wed 30-Mar-16 19:56:41

Cosy coupe, scuttlebug, little tikes slide and water table.
Little tikes stuff lasts for years and survives the winters. Our stuff is coming up to 10yeArs old and is simply sun faded. Well worth the money.

MiaowTheCat Wed 30-Mar-16 20:00:18

Sand/water table - we got a huge sandpit dirt cheap years ago and it's still loved now years later.

The little tikes slides are nice - but I wouldn't buy new - they're outgrown so fast there's always tonnes for sale second hand, likewise the coupes.

Shirkingfromhome Wed 30-Mar-16 20:00:58

Adding to the list above; ds was bought a lawn mower that blows bubbles at that age. He loved it. Crazy coupe is still being played with now and he's 2.5.

polkadotdelight Wed 30-Mar-16 20:43:15

Oh yes, scuttle bug, ours is in the house and he is on it all the time. We have a sandpit ready for summer but its in the garage so cant comment yet!

Pico2 Wed 30-Mar-16 20:52:38

Cosy coupe cars are great, but a pita to put together.

shiteforbrains Wed 30-Mar-16 20:53:02

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Amberlight003 Wed 30-Mar-16 21:18:36

Thanks all, got some good ideas. Scuttle bugs only good if they are walking I guess??

poocatcherchampion Wed 30-Mar-16 21:19:33

Water tray!!

KatyN Wed 30-Mar-16 22:35:18

We have a two part sand pit/water tray (so you can have water in one side and sand in the other and mix together to make an awful mess). About £10 from Argos I think. My son is now 4.5 and still plays at it. He was really excited because we went to buy fresh sand last week.
And part of our garden is pebbles. He spends hours digging them up and moving them around.
K

mrsmeerkat Wed 30-Mar-16 22:40:22

scuttlebuds are great. mine used his long before walking

Bishybishybarnabee Thu 31-Mar-16 07:36:42

We have a scramblebug for our just 1 year old, he loves it. He isn't walking yet but uses it like a walker most of the time.

musicinspring1 Thu 31-Mar-16 07:40:09

Cosy coupe car and sand pit are most used by my 18mo. Hit a car boot very early and pick up a bargain is my top tip.

skankingpiglet Thu 31-Mar-16 08:07:47

My DD is 21mo. Last summer she loved her cozy coupé (still does!) but be prepared to have to push them around in it when they are younger. She loves her scuttlebug but has only really started using a lot it in the last few months. She has a little tykes rocking horse that was very popular last summer, as well as a trampette. A cheap ball is a winner too, and YY to the mini lawnmower.
I also got a bit carried away in my ebay purchase of a slide for her and ended up buying a second hand one of these last year. Thought it would be something to 'grow in to' and have a bit more life than a toddler slide, but she had worked out how to get to the top and was going down the big slide by the autumn. It's massive (much bigger than I realised, it only just fit in my van!), but a very close second favourite after the coupé.
Most of the garden bits you can get fairly cheaply second hand as a lot tends to be very pricey new.

nutmegandginger Thu 31-Mar-16 10:43:40

Another vote for the 2 part sand/water tray, especially if you have limited space in your garden or want to avoid anything heavy/large/expensive at this stage. Ours is shaped like a clam shell, and you can close the shell when not in use to keep the inside dry. Think it came from Tescos and cost about £10. You can also fill it with balls (we got a big bag for a pound from a charity shop) and make it into a mini ball-pond. We did this indoors for DD's birthday, and the other babies loved it!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now