Talk

Advanced search

Preschooler pot belly

(5 Posts)
teacher54321 Tue 29-Mar-16 15:40:43

Ds is nearly 4 and is on the 98th centile for height and weight (he's always been between the 91st and 98th since he was born-is in nursery but taller than a lot of children in reception). He's heavy but in proportion, has size 13 feet and is going to be a big tall boy. My concern is his pot belly! You can see his ribs and his spine, his little arms and legs are lovely and slim and he's not chubby in the face but he still has the slightly protruding tummy when he's standing up. Is this normal? He's very very active and fit, runs around all day and is in the right aged clothes. I was just wondering if this is something I should be worried about...

Thurlow Tue 29-Mar-16 15:56:08

It sounds quite normal to me - DD is 4, a skinny little minx, no waist to speak of, you can see her ribs and spine too, but she still has quite a prominent pot belly. I think it's something to do with their stomach muscles?

teacher54321 Tue 29-Mar-16 18:42:14

That makes me feel better-I had a sudden loss of confidence yesterday after reading the 'are parents of fat children abusive' thread! We also had a trip to the dentist this morning and was convinced that would be terrible but luckily it was fine!

wigglesrock Tue 29-Mar-16 21:01:44

My youngest had her little pot belly until she was about 4.5, she's just turned 5 and it's gone completely. It's not flat now, it's concave - she's tall too, much taller at the same age than my older two daughters. Looking back at photos from last year - she's really stretched out - all legs and elbows grin, like a cheeky Bambi!!

MiaowTheCat Wed 30-Mar-16 07:34:54

My about to turn 4 year old is similar - really really skinny long legs (lucky bugger - she don't get that from me) but a pot belly that becomes quite solid just before she shoots up in height before becoming squidgy again (if that makes sense).

Looking at the other kids in her dancing class it seems fairly normal and seems to go away about the point where they're moving from 4 into 5 ish.

My just-turned 3 year old still has the toddler leg squidge going on slightly - I think they do a spurt where they lose that and suddenly elongate (which I think she's gearing up for) and then another spurt where they lose the toddler tummies after that.

DD1 also has no bloody waist and usually trousers hanging around her kneecaps and half a yard of bum cleavage on show, with adults following her around urging her to pull her chuffing trousers up!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now