Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

First time swimming - tips?

(15 Posts)
ANiceSliceOfCake Mon 28-Mar-16 17:41:19

My son will be 9 months when we go on holiday and plan to take him swimming for the first time. It's centre parks if that makes a difference.

So I think I need.......

- one of those inflatable things they sit and float in.

- Swim nappies

- a little swim suit that has short sleeves, goes to his knees and has a zip up the front

- hooded towel

Anything else I'm missing that makes it easier?

KatyN Mon 28-Mar-16 20:44:56

An outfit for you that involves no zips, buttons,effort to put on. You will either have a screaming cold because he is cold from getting out of the pool or a bored one who is dressed!! Maybe a snack if he'll eat that while you get dressed??
K

ODog Mon 28-Mar-16 21:17:13

Second having snacks for when you get out so you can get dressed. Inflatable ring not really necessary. My DS never really liked it and preferred to be swished about at that age. I would also get a swim suit that has long arms and legs if possible or a wet suit material wrap. Splash about do some good ones. Doesn't necessarily need a zip (I once caught a wriggling DS's cheat skin in a swimsuit zip) but they do make it a bit easier to get on/off.

uhoh2016 Mon 28-Mar-16 21:22:37

Tbh I'd just put him in the water in a swim nappy the all in one suits are a pain and designed to keep the sun off so if your inside then it's really not needed.

ODog Mon 28-Mar-16 21:30:55

I think it depends on the pool temperature uhoh. The uv style suits keep little bodies warm if the pool is a bit chilly and then it's a much more enjoyable experience for everyone. I know some pools are nice a toasty but our local pool is way too cold for even toddlers to wear just a swim nappy.

uhoh2016 Mon 28-Mar-16 21:32:23

Centre parks is likely to be a warm pool I'd say

ANiceSliceOfCake Fri 01-Apr-16 17:56:05

Thank you everyone. Great advice. Especially the snacks!

WeAllHaveWings Fri 01-Apr-16 19:18:03

We never bothered with the full swim suits as they end up freezing in them when they come out and are wet and the are horrible to get off.

At that age they won't be in the pool for more than 20-30 minutes at a time. Have his towel poolside so you can wrap him up quickly and if one of you can nip out a few minutes before you leave the pool and get dressed so they can dry/dress baby it makes it much less stressful.

almostthirty Fri 01-Apr-16 19:19:53

You will need an over nappy to stop any leaks a day personally I wouldn't bother with the floating aid.

Bishybishybarnabee Fri 01-Apr-16 20:33:15

We took DS for his first swim at CP at a similar age.
I wouldn't bother with the inflatable, we just held him and splashed around. CP also has kids bouyancy vests to use (free) should you decide you want something buoyant on him.

CottonSock Fri 01-Apr-16 20:37:19

Agree with everything above, my dd hated floating in those inflatable things. A spare towel for lying on is good. We had a warm wetsuit as she always got shivers, but she was a wimp. Snacks that they can eat whilst you get dressed.

WheresTheCoffee Fri 01-Apr-16 20:42:34

A giant bag to sling everything in once you're both dry and dressed!

MyBreadIsEggy Fri 01-Apr-16 20:44:27

We take DD (11mo) every Sunday. She wears a wetsuit and a swim nappy. At our pool, the actual pool room is like a sauna, and the changing rooms are like a fridge in comparison! I always take DD's towel poolside, take her wetsuit and nappy off and wrap her in the towel to get her semi-dry before we head into the changing rooms.

Thisismyfirsttime Fri 01-Apr-16 21:06:32

DD walks now so it's easier but I've always taken one if those towel things that have a hood and go over the head with their arms sticking out of the sides and find that's easier for keeping her warm. Before she was walking we got out, I wrapped my towel around me then put hers on over her head and carried her to the changing room. It was easier than keeping a towel wrapped around her, especially when getting stuff out of lockers etc.

Thisismyfirsttime Fri 01-Apr-16 21:07:10

Easier appears to be my word of the day!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now