Talk

Advanced search

Dummy for breastfed baby

(9 Posts)
MollyBloomYes Mon 28-Mar-16 15:01:35

DS is sucking his fists raw. He's three months. I had some success with mam but he's gone off those. Have also tried nuby and tommee tippee. He will suck happily if I hold it in his mouth sometimes but mostly just gags and spits it out. Anyone had any successes?!

ChloeDawn Mon 28-Mar-16 15:05:25

My dd 6 weeks and she takes the avent orthodontic dummy's she is formula fed though, she's been taking them since she was about 2 weeks old! smile

luckiestgirlintheworld Mon 28-Mar-16 15:06:31

For ages I thought DS was refusing a dummy, then I realised he just hasn't got the hang of what to do yet. So I just held it in for a while before he realised he had to suck, and just kept trying it a few times a day, and he got it after a few days. VERY pleased I persevered because otherwise he just used the breast as a dummy which is no fun for anyone

LittleNelle Mon 28-Mar-16 15:08:20

Cherry latex ones rather than silicone orthodontic.

ChloeDawn Mon 28-Mar-16 15:08:56

Yeah I also had to hold it for a while before she got the grasp that she's actually supposed to suck on it lol!

SushiAndTheBanshees Mon 28-Mar-16 15:19:58

Another one agreeing with holding it in for a while until they understand what they're meant to be doing. Sucking a human nipple is a very different action to sucking on a dummy. It's why they say that ideally a bf baby shouldn't take a dummy before 4 weeks in order to make sure the bf reflex remains the primary one (rubbish imho, but that's what I was told).

31weeksgone Mon 28-Mar-16 16:49:44

NUK ones are apparently the best for breast fed babies. The white ones that come in a little 2 pack with a heart on.

31weeksgone Mon 28-Mar-16 16:51:44

These ones, work perfectly for me and a few BF friends.

MollyBloomYes Mon 28-Mar-16 17:01:25

Thanks all, yep have been holding it and he seemed to get it, let it go and put it comes. Will look at nuk thank you

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now