What would you do? - first time parent

(4 Posts)
sepa Sun 27-Mar-16 10:41:08

I am a first time parent so pretty clueless as to a lot of stuff still. I have a 3 week old baby and we have been invited around to my SIL house for an Easter egg hunt. One of the children who is going has text my SIL to say that her LO has a spot on his mouth and hand. She thinks that it's because it's teething (but could also be something like hand foot and mouth I suppose?)
Would you go with your baby and risk it being an illness? I don't want to be a paranoid mum (and I don't think I have so far) but also don't want to put my baby in the line of fire at such a young age.

I think the reason I'm questioning it is would you text to say if you did think it was teething? Or is it a standard thing to do when a newborn is involved?

Princesspeach1980 Sun 27-Mar-16 11:17:42

I would still go, you could just make sure this child doesn't kiss or touch the baby just in case. Your baby would probably still have your immunity to hand foot and mouth anyway, especially if you're breastfeeding. Ds1 had chicken pox and hand foot and mouth before ds2 was 6 months old, and ds2 didn't catch either, even with lots of close contact.

TiredOfSleep Mon 28-Mar-16 21:10:21

I wouldn't be worried at that age. I was messaging my friends with newborns about anything and everything because I wanted them to have all the facts and make the decision. I'd just ensure LO doesn't get kisses and cuddles from that child or any who've been around them.

sepa Tue 29-Mar-16 21:16:23

We did go to see them. I know she will be exposed to illness and get ill herself but she is just so small! Lol.
Saying that I am sat here with a sore throat coming on and maybe an upset stomach so after all that it will probably be me she catches something from!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now