Talk

Advanced search

How to make nipple shields stick?

(12 Posts)
Newfamily2014 Sat 26-Mar-16 20:55:37

My baby is just 3 days old. I am breast feeding and nipples are sore. I bought some mothercare nipple shields today but I can't get them to stick on. The plastic keeps coming up around the edges and my baby finds it hard to latch. I can't see any milk inside the plastic so I guess my baby isn't getting any?
Any ideas how yo get them to stick on?

Tiggeryoubastard Sat 26-Mar-16 20:57:24

Staples.
Sorry, trying to be lighthearted, I never figured that one myself - I think the trick is to find the make that fits you best.

Newfamily2014 Sat 26-Mar-16 21:02:11

It feels like I have staples in my nipples when my lo sucks so maybe I should try that lol!

Tiggeryoubastard Sat 26-Mar-16 21:03:43

Aww I promise it does get easier, honestly.

Florentina27 Sat 26-Mar-16 22:47:18

I use the medela ones. They are ment to be wet when you put them on and massage the sides a bit to stick. Sometimes they don't stay at first due to fast milk let down or the baby sucking go hard to get the milk down. so just hold them in place with your fingers for a bit at begining of feed.Mine don't stick well anymore but I had them a while. My dd still latches fine even If the edges go up as long as the main bit is on your nipple. Hope this works for you. Also are you sure you're wearing the right size? They do them in S M L, there are some cheaper standard ones that were no good for me and still found it painful using them. In a few weeks bf would be much better

Newfamily2014 Sat 26-Mar-16 23:48:01

Everyone seems to recommend the medula ones so I will try and get some. Without sounding strange, how do I know if I am a s,m or l?! I haven't really compared my nipple size to others!
My lo has just sucked on the nipple shield but there was no milk residue in the shield so shall I take that to mean that he didn't have a feed?

Florentina27 Sun 27-Mar-16 05:12:36

I used to see some milk in shield when she was little but she had tongue tie so maybe she didn't swallow well. Maybe better to see a lactation consultant , they told me my nipple size as well. I'm a medium but my nipple is quite small, prob large if you have large breast tissue and bigger nipple. They would look bigger on you as it needs space to suck more breast fissus and the nipple. If not buy one pack medium size and then see if you need bigger or smaller. You would need quite a few pairs to make life easyer

Florentina27 Sun 27-Mar-16 05:16:15

It can be pricy when you buy more as they are about £9 a pair but they last long. Also make sure you boil them for 5 min before using for the first time. Makes the silicone a bit thinner and stays stuck better

Florentina27 Sun 27-Mar-16 05:23:24

Or try annd ask for a bf support group person, they are quite familiar with nipple shields and they would normally visit you home for advice/ feeding supervision. You can also call the hospital where you gave birth for any questions until baby us one month old. Then you'll have go relay more on gp

Allnamesaretakenffs Sun 27-Mar-16 13:38:36

I used to use the lanolin nipple cream to help the fuckers stick.

Want2bSupermum Sun 27-Mar-16 13:43:46

Here in the US you have a lactation consultant who tells you the size and shows you how to put them on. Also they are about $4 a pair on Amazon if you buy them. The doctor offices and lacatation consultants have them. They hand them out at no cost to you as covered by your insurance visit.

Bishybishybarnabee Mon 28-Mar-16 00:58:32

I used to hand express a bit of milk beforehand and use that to help the shield stick.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now