Advice on baby clothes

(15 Posts)
flowerpower10 Thu 24-Mar-16 00:24:04

1st time mum Due end July
Light weigh pram suit to buy or not ?
4days in hospital
What and how much clothing should I take for baby girl ?

Florentina27 Thu 24-Mar-16 02:19:44

You should have a list in your pregnancy record book. The only things, maybe add 1 item more on each, I've been in hospital 3 days I think their list was just enough. Also bring plenty more muslin squares, they tempt to be quite Sicky when newborn. Wish you a nice easy birth

youlemming Thu 24-Mar-16 13:15:13

I wouldn't worry about a pram suit, as the weather is unpredictable I would have a few light weight blankets than you can add or remove as needed rather than having to dress/undress baby if they get too warm or cold.

Littleoakhorn Thu 24-Mar-16 13:17:52

No need for a pramsuit, Ds was born in February and I didn't get one. My list for the baby while in the hospital would be a multipack of 5-7 newborn short sleeve vests and the same of sleepsuits. Plus an adorable cotton blanket and ridiculously cute hat.

CutYourHairAndGetAJob Thu 24-Mar-16 13:19:27

I had winter babies and never used pram suits. They get too hot indoors, and you aren't supposed to put them in the car seat in one, so I found it easier to cover them in blankets. With ds we normally use a sling and a pramsuit was too hot even in mid winter.

OneMagnumisneverenough Thu 24-Mar-16 13:26:06

My July baby came out of hospital in a pair of shorts smile

I ended up with a section and therefore was in a bit longer than anticipated (3 days) so ended up having to have extra stuff brought in he was a very sicky baby too - very common with a c section apparently. I'd allow for 2 vests/sleepsuits per day. DS1 didn't even fit in the ones that I had brought and the nurse had to cut the feet off.

shitwithsugaron Thu 24-Mar-16 13:37:51

I had a November baby and was bought a pram suit but didn't actually use it because DD was so huge she went straight into 0-3 months clothes. It can't hurt to buy one and keep the receipt/keep the tag on so if you don't use it you can return/exchange? This is what I did.
As for clothes I agree with pp's, add a few more items than the lists say, for example I packed 3 each of bodysuits and babygros but had to ring DH at 6am as DD had been sick many times throughout the night (vaginal birth but midwife said baby took in a lot of blood from my 3rd degree tear and the vomit was truly frightening for a FTM) and I had no clean clothes left for her. It's better to overpack, as I hadn't banked on an overnight stay. Good luck!

CarrotPuff Thu 24-Mar-16 19:19:11

Pram suit in July? No, definitely not. Get a warm cardi if you're worried it's going to be that cold.

Princesspeach1980 Thu 24-Mar-16 20:48:57

Both my boys are summer babies and I was always amazed at the Mum's turning up to clinic with multiple layers of clothes on. Babies always looked so uncomfortable. Mine spent most of their first weeks either in just vests, or short romper suits. I would take plenty of vests to the hospital as it will probably be boiling in there too

flowerpower10 Thu 24-Mar-16 22:15:03

Lovely thank you ladiesgrin

babyconverse Fri 25-Mar-16 06:08:56

I would allow far more than a couple of vests/ sleep suits per day. We got through far, far more than that.

Luckystar1 Fri 25-Mar-16 06:15:01

Just to add... I was only in hospital for about 7 hours after DS was born and we went through 3 vests and sleep suits. Not sick, but poo!! So do pack a lot for baby!

I'm due end of July too! Slightly different from October with DS. Very best of luck with the remainder of your pregnancy, the birth and your new baby once she's here.

Equimum Fri 25-Mar-16 08:37:08

I had a baby last August and didn't use a pea suit for ages (even though it was particularly hot). In fact, his padded pramsyits still have the tags in as the winter hasn't even warranted them.

I think DS came home in a shirt-sleeved bodysuit, babygrow and thin cardigan. The cardigan came off as soon as we were home. I also found the really large muslin squares brilliant as covers. He got too hot with blankets, so we used those.

CutYourHairAndGetAJob Fri 25-Mar-16 13:01:14

A good tip is to pack two hospital bags - one for labour with a few things for baby and another one for a longer stay, with overnight things for you and more baby clothes too. You can leave the overnight bag in the car until it is needed.

If you stay more than one night your partner will be sent home so he can pick up more things if needed - just make sure he knows where everything is voice of bitter experience

ODog Fri 25-Mar-16 19:10:19

Blankets and a cardigan for chilly days will be fine in July. In fact I didn't get DS a snowsuit until this year (he was 18mo and walking well at start of winter) as pre-walking it's easier to wrap them in a blanket/footmuff that you can quickly whip on and off as needed. Even this winter he only wore it a handful of times when we were outside and it was really really cold. A warm coat and layers was fine for most days in the South during winter. I won't be getting one for my new baby due in May.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now