Talk

Advanced search

How do you deal with sibling jealousy?

(4 Posts)
parrotonmyshoulder Sun 20-Mar-16 07:26:05

There's not much of it so maybe I don't get enough practise. 6 yo DD is really jealous though (to the point of crying and tantrums) when she thinks her 3 yo brother is getting something she's not (ALWAYS food related).

This morning she's realised that he is having a preschool Easter egg hunt this week. She knows full well that there will be eggs a plenty at grandmas next weekend, there'll be an egg hunt on holiday the week after, etc etc.

She probably gets a bit more 1:1 time than he does, swimming, walks, reading, playing together etc.

They play together nicely a lot - but this issue is hard to get right.

What do you do about this? Thanks.

KateInKorea Mon 21-Mar-16 06:53:33

Have you read "siblings without rivalry" it's pretty good at this.

I think with that disappointment you just listen, say "Yes, mmm, shall we do [next activity]". So no encouragement, or trying to fix it.

My husband is a twin and really struggles to not give all of our kids the same equivalence of Things when one gets something. He never experienced getting things when he needs them, not wants them. Even at six, he is old enough to know that he is too old for pre-school things: he got preschool stuff when he was is in preschool, and his little brother didn't get anything then.
This is one of life's lessons, and people really/truly don't grow out of it unless they are taught.

Dellarobia Mon 21-Mar-16 11:05:33

I agree with Kate that this is one of life's lessons.

I would say something like: "when you were in pre-school you had an egg hunt and DS was too little to join in. Now it's his turn".

parrotonmyshoulder Mon 21-Mar-16 17:37:39

Thanks. These are the sort of things I do say so hopefully I'm on the right lines. She tries to make me feel guilty with her dramatics.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now