Talk

Advanced search

Rearward facing car seat and car sickness

(5 Posts)
StarChaser99 Sun 13-Mar-16 19:00:59

We bought an extended rearward facing car seat for our DD (can be rearward up to 4yo) she has used it happily for the past 6 months and seemed to have no issues. However the last few weeks she has started to get carsick, and we have had a couple of sick incidents. Last time she did have a magazine in the car, but the first time she didn't. I am wondering if it could be because she is rearward facing. I would like to keep her that way for as long as possible (especially as - aside from being sick a couple of times - she has been happy) but my DH thinks we should change her forward. Has anyone else experienced this?

BertieBotts Sun 13-Mar-16 19:05:59

How old is she? Is it an option to turn the seat forward, maybe you could check to see if it makes a difference?

StarChaser99 Sun 13-Mar-16 19:33:08

She's 19mo so turning her forward is an option. We have a Cybex Sirona car seat so in the forward facing position it has an impact cushion in front rather than a seatbelt. When we turned her forward the impact cushion seemed so big that I felt like she seemed too small/young for it (although she fits within the guidelines for when it can be turned).

BertieBotts Sun 13-Mar-16 21:30:11

I had an impact shield seat and yes they do look large but that's the point of them - if it was only covering their abdominal area then they are too tall for it really. It's supposed to come up right to the chest almost!

I would try it and see how you get on. If it doesn't make a difference then definitely go rear facing again. I know that I sometimes suffer from travel sickness myself and it's worse if I travel backwards on a train etc. But sometimes it can be okay as long as I can see out of the back window.

poocatcherchampion Mon 14-Mar-16 18:54:06

Y dd was a little carsick at that age but it passed within a couple of months. She is still rf at 4.

We restricted milk and heavy meals before longer journrys. and chucked a towel at her to sort herself out

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now