Talk

Advanced search

Where does your dc pre-bed wind down take place?

(12 Posts)
Soup2start Fri 11-Mar-16 22:50:59

16 month old has bath at 6 ish. Then we spend about 30 mins in the living room where she drinks her milk, sometimes watches a bit of Night Garden and we read a couple of stories. Then take her up and put her, awake, into her cot in dark bedroom and she goes straight to sleep.
I feel like stories should probably happen in her bedroom and moreso when she moves into a bed but don't want to upset what obviously works for her (she sleeps through til 6ish). I'm thinking of taking her straight to her room from the bath but expect she will object to being put in her cot before she's ready to sleep.
I'm interested to know about others' night time routine and if anyone has made changes at any point?

willfuckformichilenstarfood Fri 11-Mar-16 22:54:21

In the living room also, doesn't work on a 4 year old though. After putting to sleep......

I'm not tired
Need a wee
Need a poo
Why do I have to sleep
I'm thirsty
I'm hungry
I need a story
I'm cold
I'm hot

This normally goes on for 2 hours. Unless I turn all the lights out and she thinks we're in bed......

KIDS!

YesILikeItToo Fri 11-Mar-16 22:59:46

I had a chair in dds room, we sat on that together for stories and milk. One thing I liked about keeping it all in one place was it made it easier to re-create the routine when away from home by just putting a chair next to the cot.

Soup2start Fri 11-Mar-16 23:01:30

Haha I'll count ourselves lucky for now then.
It's bloody TV filling my head with images of reading in bed as they sweetly cuddle and drift off...

Soup2start Fri 11-Mar-16 23:05:02

Yes we have a chair in dd's room but I think she'd be distracted by the toys. And wardrobe. And rug. And window. She's a wriggle bum and living room is boring - she doesn't spend much other time in there and none of her crap is in there!

heymammy Fri 11-Mar-16 23:08:35

If it ain't broke don't fix it, seriously, sounds perfect as it is smile

MrsPear Fri 11-Mar-16 23:11:12

TV off at 7 sharp. In living room pjs on, brush teeth and they choose a story and then get taken to their rooms. Say good night to ds2 and shut door. Ds1 watches I pad 15 mins and reads to me. Goes for a wee and then night. Shut door. I don't respond to anything until morning (unless sick). If they wander they go back in stern silence. I also just ignore any chatter. I a sahm and quite frankly I need my own space in a evening.

MrsPear Fri 11-Mar-16 23:12:10

If it works op do t try and change it!

Soup2start Fri 11-Mar-16 23:12:25

Thanks heymammy smile it is!

YesILikeItToo Fri 11-Mar-16 23:18:13

Ah, we'd see it the other way round nothing at all ever really went on in dds room apart from sleeping and dressing.

mrsmugoo Sat 12-Mar-16 07:14:08

Leaving the living room is the start of bedtime routine for us - having tidied the tits and had milk on the sofa watching ITNG.

Then it's bath and pjs on in bedroom for stories and then bed. Never returns to the living room.

KatyN Sat 12-Mar-16 09:44:47

We used to do it all in the lounge and then pop my son in his cot.. Then we moved house, he got a proper bed and got older. Now we have that lovely cuddle and stories in bed upstairs. We probably moved upstairs at about 3.

The only odd bit is all his books now live in his bedroom so it's hard to read stories during the day. (As I'm a lazy toad and can't be bothered to go upstairs!)

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now