Advanced search

Social services

(6 Posts)
MrsEricBana Tue 08-Mar-16 19:32:25

I'd be really grateful for some help please. My lovely friend has been reported to social services after someone misinterpreted something she told them about one of her children. She will of course co-operate fully with the investigation but is very upset and feels very wronged as she is a very loving and committed mother. She feels sure that she'll be completely cleared but is very worried that it will always be on her records, she'll have to declare it e.g. if she takes one of her children to A&E, and worried she could fall under suspicion if one of her children was accidentally hurt and even that her child(ren) could be taken away. Neither she nor I nor any of our friends, to our knowledge, have any experience of this and she is very upset and embarrassed. Please can someone help with what happens after the investigation is over. Thank you!

uhoh2016 Tue 08-Mar-16 20:01:01

I don't think anything happens tbh If it's all unfounded. I took my little boy to A&E last week they asked if they had a social worker involved at that moment so if there's no social workers involved with the family after the investigation there's no need to mention it to hospital etc as they're no longer involved in the family

goddessofsmallthings Tue 08-Mar-16 20:07:29

The investigation will either conclude that there are issues which need to be addressed, in which case further action will be taken, or that there is no need for any futher action in which case it will be closed.

In the event that the investigation is closed, it will stay closed. It will be on your friend's 'records' only insofar as SS is concerned and there will be no need for your friend to declare it to anyone, health professionals inlcuded.

If a subsequent adverse report to SS is made about your friend's parenting/dc a further investigation will be made and, while the first investigation will not be re-opened as such, the content of it may be taken into account.

MrsEricBana Tue 08-Mar-16 20:18:03

Oh thank you, that is really reassuring. She is so upset about it all and I didn't really know how to help. I'll ring her now and hopefully that'll put her mind at rest.

Claraoswald36 Tue 08-Mar-16 20:25:45

You don't have to 'declare' ss involvment its not a criminal charge! Except to other ss type agencies - camhs or a children's centre but only if they ask.
Also you don't 'have a SW' unless the case progresses beyond the assessment stage to longer term involvement which means the case is allocated.
Also if it helps ss will chat to school/nursery/health visitor whichever fits best and check out if they have any concerns - and if they do your friend would know about it by now!

MrsEricBana Tue 08-Mar-16 21:09:06

Thanks Clara. Yes they have done the latter and all fine so far.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now