Talk

Advanced search

I've been a really crap mum lately - please help me get better

(8 Posts)
muminthecity Tue 08-Mar-16 09:35:34

I have a lovely 10 year old DD. The last few weeks I've had various health problems and work stress which have led to us becoming stuck in a bit of a rut. We get home at about 4.30 every weekday. I cook dinner, we eat and then DD spends the rest of the evening in front of a screen while I rest/clean/also sit in front of a screen. We have very little interaction and don't spend any quality time together. We do at the weekends, but I want our weekdays to improve.

How can I change this? What sort of things do you do with your DC in the evenings? In the summer I will take her to the park or for walks in the woods, but it's too cold and wet at the moment and to be honest I'm just exhausted after work right now.

She does do two sports clubs on Mondays and Wednesdays but I would like to do something with her, something that we can both enjoy together on the other days but I'm stuck for ideas. Would be really grateful for any advice.

angemorange Tue 08-Mar-16 13:58:32

We try to have at least one night in the week where we play cards or board games. At the minute it's usually Thursday but I try to keep it flexible.

At weekends we watch DVDs together or do some baking/cooking - home made pizzas or biscuits if weather is rubbish.

Winter and bad weather can get everyone in a rut - don't beat yourself up too much.

muminthecity Tue 08-Mar-16 16:03:50

Thanks angemorange, playing cards is a great idea, we did that on holiday but haven't played since, I might suggest that tomorrow. Baking is good too, that's something we haven't done for a while and could be done after school if it's something quick and simple.

We do do quite a lot at the weekends, it's just the week nights that have become a bit of a drag and I'd like to get us out of the habit of staring at a screen all evening!

Thanks again for the suggestions flowers

TychosNose Tue 08-Mar-16 16:08:52

Craft? We often spend from school to bedtime in front of screens. Sometimes I get out craft stuff before the school run so it's already out for when dd gets home. She's only 5 though so don't know what 10yo are into.

katienana Tue 08-Mar-16 16:08:57

Paint each others nails? Learn to knit together? Swimming? Dance DVD I know you're tired so maybe not but that could be fun to learn routines together. Board games or cards, go through recipe book and she helps you shop for and cook a different dish every week.
Let her give you a makeover? Random cinema trip? Jump in the car drivers somewhere you ever never been and get fish and chips.

muminthecity Tue 08-Mar-16 18:15:24

Lots of lovely ideas, thank you. Will definitely be giving these a go.

Tvfan1981b Sat 12-Mar-16 21:30:52

Ha sometimes my marriage is like this.
Routine leads to boredom.
Social media can be a curse sometimes

Tvfan1981b Sat 12-Mar-16 21:34:53

And you are not a CRAP mum
Breaking routine requires effort from EVERYONE

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now