Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

the witching hour. HELP!

(10 Posts)
themumfairy Mon 07-Mar-16 10:45:14

So I've been told that my 6 week old dd3 is going through the witching hour. Every evening from around 4 till 7ish (bathtime) she cries constantly. It's not colic as she's not screaming or drawing her legs up, it's just a constant whinge. If I do manage to get her settled just a kiss on her cheek starts her off again. Shes not hungry as she refuses bottles as shes clean. She's just very unsettled. As soon as she has a bath she's a different child and has her bottle and sleeps soundly in her moses. Anyone else had this? What did you do to cope and settle her? And how long will it last, I feel so helpless.

SweepTheHalls Mon 07-Mar-16 10:50:40

Witching hour here too grin. I rotate between using the sling and swing chair to get through it while making tea and doing the older ones reading books!

MrsPatrickDempsey Mon 07-Mar-16 13:03:40

It's hard isn't it? Colic is the name given to prolonged crying; not linked with gastric symptoms at all. Sounds like overtiredness to me. This is a really interesting link which may offer a different perspective.

babyhintsandtips.com/doctor-tips-colic-bore-your-baby-to-sleep/

themumfairy Mon 07-Mar-16 13:27:47

I'm glad I'm not alone. People have suggested going out for a walk in the evening but when you've got older ones home from school it's difficult. By the time I've cooked tea, sorted homework and showered them it's nearly my bedtime! Cuddles work sometimes but as soon as I move it all starts again. I'm just going to stick to our routine and hopefully things will get better.

waitingforsomething Mon 07-Mar-16 15:10:30

Both mine have been really hard in the witching hour. I have found a dummy useful in this period for the first c.6 months - only part of the day or night they've used it. I also carried them about in the sling a fair bit which would keep them calmer

Iguessyourestuckwithme Mon 07-Mar-16 15:12:34

You know witching hour is not a phase its a way of life. Children as old as 8 can also get fractious in that time frame smile

MrsPatrickDempsey Mon 07-Mar-16 15:38:22

smartpediatricadvice.com/colic

Another interesting link.

Mummyme87 Mon 07-Mar-16 17:12:31

Still have witching hour and we are 20months in 😳

GoldPlatedBacon Mon 07-Mar-16 18:18:22

I had it too. I found a helpful Australian website ; can't remember which now but they used the phrase 'Arsenic hour'.

My dd is 7 months and 4-6 pm are still her toughest hours of the day (she goes to bed quite easily at 6) but it's not as bad as it use to be.

I found the best thing with my dd during those times was breastfeeding her at home in peace and quiet, she use to be overwhelmed very easily

GoldPlatedBacon Mon 07-Mar-16 18:22:08

Posted too soon! I find of she has a good nap over lunch (1-2 hours) then 4-6pm aren't too bad but I've only discovered that recently

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now