Two under two....can I do this?!

(15 Posts)
MyBreadIsEggy Sat 05-Mar-16 15:30:24

Just that really....
My DD is 10mo at the moment, and will be 18mo when much wanted baby number 2 arrives in October - I think it's just hit me that I really am going to have a toddler and a tiny baby to take care of!
Don't get me wrong, DH and I have always wanted there to be a small age gap between our DCs, but now I find myself terrified when I think back on my life with DD as a newborn. I think about the sleepless nights all over again, but then I reason with myself and think "might as well get another newborn stage out of the way whilst I'm already knackered" - does it really work that way?!
I guess I'm just looking for a bit of reassurance from other mums with a small age gap, and for someone to tell me it will be ok and I can do this!

MiaowTheCat Sat 05-Mar-16 16:35:35

11 months between my two and honestly - you just cope. If anything because I was still on "baby mode" it was less of a shock in terms of sleep etc anyway.

Mine are very very close as sisters now (coming up to 3 and 4).

MaisieDotes Sat 05-Mar-16 16:38:10

Hi OP, I have DS1 who is 18mo and DS2 who is 4 weeks.

So far it's surprisingly ok! Some days I get nothing done except essential childcare but I think that's ok. I just imagine I am running a very small crèche grin

Purpleraindeer Sat 05-Mar-16 17:00:17

Same gap here. you just cope. And it's easier than a bigger gap as you don't have to go back to the baby stage as you've not really left it!

Looking back on it, the first 8wks were hard but actually at the time I thought it was loads easier than I expected. Mine are 1.5 and 3 now and it's great

Msqueen33 Sat 05-Mar-16 17:07:56

I've got 13 months between my two. One has autism so she needed a lot of extra care. There were hard points like when one ran in the one direction and the other in another. They were also bother really lively. But now at 6 and 7. They are amazing friends and adore each other.

Marzipants Sat 05-Mar-16 17:24:47

21 months between my two. It wasn't that bad. The oldest still napping was a godsend and now (3 and 4.5) they get on really well. You're still in nappy land and you don't have the school run to get up for so mornings are a lot easier.

After the first few months it starts to be fun, then you start thinking about having another... grin

MyBreadIsEggy Sat 05-Mar-16 17:26:05

You guys are making me way less scared grin

Tiggeryoubastard Sat 05-Mar-16 17:26:48

Just 3 years between my first two and just a year between 2 and 3. Yes it was tiring, but I think closer together is easier on the whole.

DayToDayShit Sat 05-Mar-16 17:28:07

I had this and it really wasn't bad at all.

NickyEds Sat 05-Mar-16 20:53:49

I have a 19 month gap and it's fine, nice in fact. It also gets easier every day. Ds is 2.3 and dd is 7.5 months and I've enjoyed the little baby phase so much more second time round. Watching them together is unbelievably cute. Get the toddler into a good routine, a sling and a Phil and Teds would be my advice!

Alanna1 Sat 05-Mar-16 21:55:31

19m between my two. I recommend it but the first year was hard!

Katarzyna79 Sat 05-Mar-16 22:03:06

erm I got pregnant pretty much straight after having my first born, stupid very stupid not my plan. their birthdays are 2 days a part but were estimated to be the same date initially.

It was a bit tough in that firstborn would get jealous of the baby when I was doing feeds hed want to sit on my lap. But slowly I let him hold the bottle for me, help get the nappies out etc he likedbeing the helper, and stopped being jealous.

when my daughter was crawling he'd watch her, tell her off if she put anything in her mouth, he liked being a bossy big brother. They didn't fight as wee kids, but now 8&9 always bickering, fighting over the silliest things.

it's not so bad OP more perks than negatives.

Petal7 Sat 05-Mar-16 22:10:50

It is lovely having a small gap. Admittedly, physically quite demanding, but so rewarding in other ways. I agree, a good routine for the toddler so they then both have a good nap at the same time, a sling and a Phil and Ted are brilliant. My eldest two have a similar gap and are best, best friends as they have grown up together and now share many activities and friends. It will all be fine!

backinpurple Sun 06-Mar-16 08:28:03

I loved having a small gap, the pavements are really narrow where I live so I had a good buggy and a really good sling. I also kept a double pushchair in the car for day trips, I made sure that I bought one that could be pushed with one hand so that the older child could still hold my hand when he wanted to get out for a walk.

Online shopping for food helped too, I used to stock up on nappies/wipes.

I also used a co-sleeper crib for the first 6 months, that way we managed to avoid buying a second cot and the oldest went into a bed at 2 (he could have gone into a bed sooner, but I didn't want to do sleepless nights and new bed training!).

The only thing that I should have done differently was look after my own health a bit better, but I may have felt it all a bit more as I was an 'older mother'.

It's great fun though, later on you get to know their primary teachers really well as you'll be dropping children into their class for 2 years in a row, you also get to know the school admissions system off by heart as you do it two years on the trot!

DangerMouth Sun 06-Mar-16 08:34:42

I don't get the 'easier as you haven't left baby mode' comments with dc close together. I absolutely needed to leave baby stage for my sanity before considering dc2!

I had a nice little break and now am back into it smile

But l never wanted my dc to be close in age so l think the frame of mind you start with helps grin

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now