Talk

Advanced search

Calpol or any medicine...just how?

(24 Posts)
HollyC255552 Fri 04-Mar-16 09:29:01

do you give it to a baby, DD is 7.5 and she just spits it out, tried using the syringe which it came with & then thought i'd try those medicine dummies which she just wouldnt take. Any tips would be helpful! Thanks

kiwimum4 Fri 04-Mar-16 09:41:21

Have you tried putting syringe towards back of throat? It's harder for them to spit it out.
Maybe a different brand/flavour?

LoisGriffinIsMyHero Fri 04-Mar-16 09:42:10

With the syringe make sure you squirt it into the inside of their cheek and have her at a slight angle so it slips down. She'll have to get used to it I'm afraid it can be tricky at first but they usually end up liking the taste so should accept it

chocdonutyy Fri 04-Mar-16 09:43:04

7.5 weeks, months or years? if weeks, calpol should only be given after 3 months (2 if for jabs) unless directed by a doctor. You could try a different flavour I guess, some kids refuse certain flavours

HollyC255552 Fri 04-Mar-16 09:54:53

Sorry 7.5 months - yep tried putting syringe towards back of her throat she somehow still manages to spit it back out. I have also tried squirting into her cheek but i dont think i had her in the right angle so she just spat out. Maybe a new flavour needs to be tried. Thanks all.

FellOutOfBedTwice Fri 04-Mar-16 09:58:11

My DD- 20 months- is having none of it being put directly in her mouth. I now mix it with a bit of sugar free squash and a splash of water in her cup. She drinks it like a large, foul shot.

Feeches Fri 04-Mar-16 09:59:15

I have this problem with my dd. She will take the own branded cherry flavour but hates Calpol which is strawberry. Same goes for Nurofen.

Frazzled2207 Fri 04-Mar-16 09:59:39

Mine is 9m and I mix it in some fruit puree which he'll then have with a spoon.
For my eldest I used to put it in his bottles but he always drained them, whereas dc2 doesn't.

LucyMouse Fri 04-Mar-16 10:01:20

You could try the sugar and colour free one. Or tip baby's head back so she can't spit it, they just have to swallow.

HopeandSoap Fri 04-Mar-16 10:07:53

You can either do it in tiny amount at the back but squirted to the side behind the gum line. Or in 2 lots same technique but immediately blow on their face as it makes them swallow.

Danglyweed Fri 04-Mar-16 10:23:51

As youre squirting it in her mouth, blow quite hard in her face. Her reflex will naturally be to swallow.

HollyC255552 Fri 04-Mar-16 10:26:35

Ooo some of them i didnt even think of doing. i think i will give them a go! Thanks v much all smile

FuzzyOwl Fri 04-Mar-16 10:27:33

DD used to hate it as well. I would have her lying in a feeding position rather than sat up, then use the syringe to put a small amount in and as soon as I squired, I would put a dummy in and blow on her face. It would mean putting in about 1ml at a time, but it was generally successful. Good luck.

FuzzyOwl Fri 04-Mar-16 10:28:12

Oh, and make sure the syringe is behind her teeth/gums and towards her throat when you squirt.

puddock Fri 04-Mar-16 10:30:26

If all else fails, paracetamol suppositories are available...

SlinkiTree Fri 04-Mar-16 10:32:19

by the time they get to 4 they'll view calpol as some kind of treat. My DD visibly lights up when she realizes she's unwell enough to get it...I agree with the cheek - good advice here!

MyBreadIsEggy Fri 04-Mar-16 10:34:22

I know it sounds horrible, but my DD was really poorly a few weeks ago and had to have a course of antibiotics. The first dose was blatantly spat out, so I had to resort to either squirting it into the inside of her cheek and blowing in her face so she would swallow as a reflex, or put the syringe as far back in her mouth as I could and just fire it in there as quick as possible so she swallowed without even thinking about how horrible it tasted!

badg3r Fri 04-Mar-16 12:55:44

I use the syringe and give it to ds (15 months) really slowly, like half a ml at a time, interspersed with pretending to have some myself and starting to offer him some then pulling it away before "giving in" and letting him have some. It takes a while but he has a real giggle and option two waa straddling a sobbing baby on the floor and squirting it in his mouth as he opens it to cry...!

badg3r Fri 04-Mar-16 12:56:43

I use the syringe and give it to ds (15 months) really slowly, like half a ml at a time, interspersed with pretending to have some myself and starting to offer him some then pulling it away before "giving in" and letting him have some. It takes a while but he has a real giggle and option two waa straddling a sobbing baby on the floor and squirting it in his mouth as he opens it to cry...!

KatharinaRosalie Fri 04-Mar-16 16:08:49

Had this problem with baby DC1 - either he spat it out, or if I managed to trick him to swallow, he puked it out. But had a high fever. Suppositories were the solution.

IamChipmunk Fri 04-Mar-16 16:28:12

We had this with ds! I asked advice on here. We resorted to pinning him a bit, leaning him back then squirting the syringe far back so he had to just swallow. I always did it in two goes so he didn't choke.

We also offered him the syringe to hold and just pressed the end in. He would take it like that sometimes.

He is nearly two now and quite good with it. If he refuses we just let him suck it out of the syringe in his own time!

Gillian1980 Fri 04-Mar-16 17:57:10

DD seems to quite like it weirdly and clutches the syringe as I'm giving it.

For a 2.5ml dose I give it in about 5 or 6 little bits, into her cheek and waiting until she's swallowed before giving the next bit.

WelliesTheyAreWonderful Fri 04-Mar-16 20:58:46

DS was the same with the syringe but we tried it on his spoon (feeding spoon, not the calpol spoon) and he has it fine now!

skankingpiglet Sun 06-Mar-16 10:43:55

When DD was that age she was a nightmare for taking medicine now at 21mo if she finds a calpol syringe she walks around the house desperately sucking at it like an addict and asking for it to be filled.... Our tactic took one of us to pin her down and hold her head straight (don't squeeze the cheeks!), and the other would wrangle the syringe into the back of her mouth and squirt it in 1/2ml at a time. Any larger amounts and she would manage to spit it out.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now