Talk

Advanced search

just resigned to stay at home

(20 Posts)
inthewoods4 Fri 04-Mar-16 07:50:35

Hi ladies,
I've just quit my much loved job to be with the kids, well I'm technically still on mat leave but not going back. It's the right decision, but I now feel really anxious and a bit low. It's a huge change- please tell me this is normal and it will be fine! Xxx

Elisheva Fri 04-Mar-16 09:48:24

I didn't go back to work after maternity leave with DS2. It took a while to find my 'identity' but we had a marvellous time. I look back now and its a time I remember with great fondness. How old are your DC?

monkeyblonde Fri 04-Mar-16 11:17:44

I'm still feeling at the 'low' point after 2.5 years! Following with interest for some tips.

We have moved though, to a new area and also to a house which needs a lot of work (with no cash to do it :-(( ).

waitingforsomething Fri 04-Mar-16 13:14:12

I'm watching as I'm in the same position. Would have gone back now but instead ive quit a job I liked and am following my husband to Asia for a year with our two young kids.
Not that excited to be a sahm either but I am trying to see it positively. It's a chance to spend time with the children that I will never get to do again. Even if I don't love it they do and I'm sure neither of us will regret the extra time. I don't know how old you are but there will still be lots of time left to work in a few years if you want to

inthewoods4 Fri 04-Mar-16 13:18:21

Hi, I'm 32 and my kids are 5 and 9 months. Before I handed in my notice I was really excited, but now I've done it it feels like a massive anti climax and suddenly the maternity leave I loved now feels really suffocating! X

magratsflyawayhair Fri 04-Mar-16 13:20:31

I took redundancy on maternity leave to stay home with a 3 year old and baby (now 4 and 1). I've started to take on a small amount of virtual assistant home working so I can use my brain a bit and I makes me enjoy my kid and house time more now I am contributing with some spending cash for us all as well as the savings on childcare and my contributions at home. It's really working for us all now I've found my feet with it.

inthewoods4 Fri 04-Mar-16 14:13:05

I'm sure I'll get used to it to... If I can shake off these nerves!

monkeyblonde Sat 05-Mar-16 09:07:30

Magrats, how did you get started with VAing? It's been on my mind for a while now just not sure how to kick start it.

starpatch Sat 05-Mar-16 11:04:39

I quit my job to be with my son too. I did find it really hard at first. There were lots of things I missed about my job which I didn't realise when I was struggling with decision. Now I am really glad I did it though. My son will be going to school soon so I feel less vulnerable. I'm really glad I didn't put him in childcare younger.

duckyneedsaclean Sat 05-Mar-16 11:08:25

I did this, left in December. I'm still getting used to it, I think it takes a long time to 'relax' into the idea, if that makes sense?

kiki22 Sat 05-Mar-16 17:31:35

I took 3.5 years with ds I loved it, was hard at the time but once I went back I really missed being at home. I cant wait for my mat leave this time I will take as long as a possibly can I never realised how much I would miss in 3 days and how ds would change being around other people more.

caravanista Sat 05-Mar-16 17:38:53

I stayed at home for 10 years and loved it! Went back part time when youngest DC was 5, then full time two years later. I went on to have a pretty high powered career and have felt very privileged to have had the best of both worlds.

Pinkheart5915 Sat 05-Mar-16 17:42:34

I own a dance studio and I had my awesome job of teaching dance.
However I went on maternity leave in June 2015 and baby was born September 2015 and within about 3 weeks I decided I am not going back to work until my baby boy starts school, which is good really as I am currently pregnant with baby number 2 already.
I had to adjust to not working but I love it being home and being a mum it's all I ever wanted

Hassled Sat 05-Mar-16 17:42:47

Just go with it and see - if after 6 months or whatever you're bored and unstimulated, you can look for another job then. There's no commitment to stay as a SAHM if it doesn't suit you. You might love it - you might not - but give it a go.

Minniemagoo Sat 05-Mar-16 17:45:03

I gave been a SAHM for since DD1 was 1, 2 more kids and 12 years later I start back at work on Monday (nervous), I have been very grateful to have had the opportunity, it's been hard (and lonely) at times, I think I appreciate it more than the kids do and am very very lucky to be starting back in a file friendly company in old industry.
There are huge advantages, being able to fully enjoy all the kids achievements, I felt a bit sad last week at DDS school match as in future I may not be able to go bit I am ready to go back. DS is 7 and I need to move on.

Minniemagoo Sat 05-Mar-16 17:46:10

Apologies for all the spelling mistakes. I hate posting from my phone sad

magratsflyawayhair Sat 05-Mar-16 18:34:53

Monkey I signed up on TimeEtc and on PeoplePerHour, got an email address and started getting in touch with old professional contacts, and very vey slowly I started to get a little work. It's not a quick earner but I do feel useful now.

earlymorningwaker Sun 06-Mar-16 06:44:32

I'm thinking of not going back if I can help it. my partner said if he gets any of his new jobs then either I can go back part time (or find an evening part time job) or not go back at all. the thought of going back to where I work is more upsetting than staying at home. I work in a pharmacy and I've made so many friends with the customers and the drug abusers too but I can't get rid of the anxious thought of leaving my little boy for 9 hours a day.

monkeyblonde Mon 07-Mar-16 16:47:59

Many thanks Magrats, did you get a lot of work through the agencies?

magratsflyawayhair Tue 08-Mar-16 09:37:42

I'm not getting potato be honest but equally in not really pushing for it yet. My youngest isn't even two so I'm only looking for bits here and there. If I wanted more I imagine that with some effort I could up my income.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now