Talk

Advanced search

When to stop burping baby?

(12 Posts)
sallykins123 Tue 01-Mar-16 19:47:59

My LO is 7 months. I've ready various places that you don't need to burp baby once they are sitting up and active etc. But nighttime bottles she falls asleep during it, therefore I don't get a burp out of her after, unless I manage to carry her up over my shoulder.

I've just put her down for the night, after a bottle and no burp, is it ok? She wouldn't choke if she burped?

QueenMolotov Tue 01-Mar-16 19:56:20

I would lie her on her side and extend her arm (the one against the mattress) forwards to prevent her rolling over onto her tummy. If she does a milky burp, it will freely come out smile You can also place a rolled blanket along her body to prevent a tummy-roll, but it has been 4y since I last had a newborn, so advice on best practice may have changed.

Hth! (And thanks for your input on my thread on Baby Names smile)

Technoremix Tue 01-Mar-16 19:58:48

I bf but never had to burp my baby. I thought it was a made up thing grandparents liked to do!

kimlo Tue 01-Mar-16 20:00:22

I never burped my babies even as newborns, they just weren't windy babies and if I tried nothing came up. At 7 months she will be fine unless she has big problems with wind anyway.

polkadotdelight Tue 01-Mar-16 20:02:33

I think we stopped at about 8 months, Id been doing it out of habit and a friend mentioned that they had stopped which made me think. I think I would still have been doing it now (17m) otherwise!

Caterina99 Tue 01-Mar-16 20:21:06

DS is 8 months. I've mostly stopped in the last few weeks as he wont stay still long enough. I do try a bit more on his last bottle before bed, but he usually randomly burps whenever now. He had wind issues when smaller, so it was a big thing.

HoneyDragon Tue 01-Mar-16 20:22:57

No so soon as to risk explosion but definitely before their heads fall off.

ZiggyFartdust Tue 01-Mar-16 20:51:51

I've never done it unless they obviously had trapped wind. They just burp if they need to!

FreeButtonBee Tue 01-Mar-16 20:55:46

I burp mine. Otherwise they moan and groan for ages and properly wake themselves up

Easing off now at 7mo for the baby. So I burp during daytime feeds to make sure he takes a bit more. Definitely for bedtime feed. Night feeds, I generally just lump him back into his cot. CBA with that in the night. If he's squirmy then I pick him up and give it a go. But I fucking hate burping babies.

ODog Tue 01-Mar-16 21:09:26

If DS fell asleep feeding then no. I never put too much effort into burping (but agree with op that grandparents love it). I would sit him up after a feed for a while and give his back a it of a pat/rub and if it came up then great but I didn't endless whack his back if it wasn't happening.

Artandco Tue 01-Mar-16 21:15:27

I never burped either of mine. I also thought it was some kind of Victorian thought

PeaceLoveAndJaffaCakes Tue 01-Mar-16 21:41:23

When I had my PFB, someone told me breastfed babies didn't need burping. I smugly announced this to my father, to his absolute horror. One volcanic vomit later, and we burped after every feed, day or night shock
I think DS started doing it himself after about 6 months, but sometimes needs assistance even now at 14 months.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now