Talk

Advanced search

Rear facing car seat for 11mo through to toddlerish?

(33 Posts)
shiteforbrains Mon 29-Feb-16 22:42:09

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Out2pasture Mon 29-Feb-16 22:50:01

quick google search gives me this
www.madeformums.com/reviews/car-seats/car-seats-from-9-months/concord-ultimax-2/1837.html

i'm a grandmom in Canada and can't imagine a child sitting rear facing for so long. it would make the long Canadian road trips of 6+ hours straight mind numbing.

shiteforbrains Mon 29-Feb-16 23:11:19

Out2pasture Mon 29-Feb-16 23:20:45

it maybe ideal for the child's safety in case of a car accident but the parents lives will be hellish sad
looks like the new regulations don't get implemented till 2018. maybe that's why there is not a large selection yet?

MrsA2 Tue 01-Mar-16 06:52:27

We have rear facing but it can't be used without isofix so wouldn't suit what you are after. If they don't know any alternative to rear facing then they don't complain about it and you are right that it is indeed much safer so definitely persist with the (mind numbing!) research. It's surprisingly how much they can see out of the windows too, toddler rear facing seats sit so much higher than the baby seats.

Babylonmood Tue 01-Mar-16 06:58:53

Isofix can only be used up to 18kg so most isofix seats have to be belted after that.

We've got two- happy with both. Fit in out ford estate and ford saloon respectively.

Isi be safe plus. 0-25kg belt only. ~£350
Nicer seat than the axkid but big. Front passenger squished.

Axkid minikid. 0-25kg. Belt only ~£300. Recline not brilliant. Takes up less space than the other one.

Securatot are great for advice over the phone then will post (no charge) free your chosen car seat.

ODog Tue 01-Mar-16 10:38:12

I have a joie I-size seat that rear faces to 18kg (approx 3/4yo). It has a base that can be fitted using isofix or belts. My tall (99th centile) almost 2yo happily rear faces in it. It can be turned around if/when you want to.

KatharinaRosalie Tue 01-Mar-16 13:11:31

Why would the trips be hellish? Sure some kids don't like to be rear-dacing, but many have no iddues. Scandinavian kids rear-face until they are about 4, and manage. Kids can actually see more being rear-facing, from FF seats they mostly see the back of the front seat.

If you want a seat that will last, and can be used with isofix or without, then some models to check are AxKid Rekid, Klippan Triofix, Klippan Kiss 2.
Concord Reverso can be used with isofix up to 23 kilo, but it's suitable only up to 105 cm height, which is a lot less than the Axkid (125 cm). And I don't think it can be used belted?

KatharinaRosalie Tue 01-Mar-16 13:13:24

Couple of webshops to check out for better selection shop.carseat.se/
www.kindseats.com/

polkadotdelight Tue 01-Mar-16 20:09:55

We have the axkid minikid too. It is a belted seat as DS is a great lump of a child and I didnt want to be restricted to 18kg. DS has only ever rear faced and doesnt know any different. If we are doing a long journey we take toys/snack, he can see us in his mirror (attached to headrest of back seat) and so far it has been fine.

KatharinaRosalie Tue 01-Mar-16 20:46:16

I have the Minikid as well - DS is slim, but very tall and this was the tallest ERF I could find.

LillyBugg Tue 01-Mar-16 20:52:38

Also confused as to why the trips would be hellish. It's a massive misconception that children can't/shouldn't rear face for longer. It is SO much safer to rear face. We have the 2way pearl, but that's isofix only so not what you're looking for. I just wanted to say you are making a great choice OP and the quicker the law is in place and enforced for rear facing children the better imho.

StrawberryLeaf Tue 01-Mar-16 20:57:25

My dd is still rear facing at 4 1/2 years, she's never forward faced so knows no difference. We do regular long day journeys (very north scotland to Birmingham), they aren't hellish at all!

We have a klippan kiss 2, it's fab.

KatharinaRosalie Tue 01-Mar-16 20:58:48

Oh and my DS has been FF occasionally. Doesn't mind either way, goes back to his RF without any problems. So not all kids think FF is so much better.

MargaretCabbage Tue 01-Mar-16 21:00:04

I have the Klippan Triofix Comfort. It's rear and forward facing, uses isofix or a seatbelt and is one of the more compact ERF seats so should fit most cars. It also turns into a high back booster so in theory should last till they outgrow it.

It's about £400 from most UK stockists but I found a French website that has them on offer quite often and managed to get it for about £320 with free shipping.

It's a huge amount of money, but seemed like the one I would get the most value out of. I don't think there is much choice out there of ERF seats with isofix and seat belt fitting.

KatharinaRosalie Tue 01-Mar-16 21:13:43

Klippan Triofix is 268 GBP here www.kindseats.com/product/rear-facing-seats/triofix-comfort

KatharinaRosalie Tue 01-Mar-16 21:14:20

Ah sorry, base is extra

TeaandHobnobs Tue 01-Mar-16 21:17:30

OP can you get to one of the In Car Safety Centres? Milton Keynes or Essex. They seriously know their stuff and have a wide selection of ERF seats.
DS is still in a Cybex Sirona at nearly 4yo (rearfacing) - I've been really pleased with it, and DD (also 11mo) will go into it when she outgrows the baby seat. It's Isofix only though.

Mrscog Tue 01-Mar-16 21:17:40

Our 5 hour trip to cornwall with 3 year old DS rear facing was far from hellish - he can see more rear facing and toys don't drop down in the footwell.

shiteforbrains Tue 01-Mar-16 22:25:11

shiteforbrains Tue 01-Mar-16 22:37:13

JellyTipisthebest Tue 01-Mar-16 22:40:18

It does get lots of bad reviews to do with head flopping forward. But that could be buying it when it doesn't really fit their car. Even if it say online it fits you need to check that it reclines well in your car. Make sure you car is parked on the flat when you try it.

The kids I look after go rear facing in my car, both are forward in their own cars, they love it they car see so much more that in their own cars. They car see out the back. One is nearly 2 one is 3 I have a maxway (britax)

shiteforbrains Tue 01-Mar-16 22:53:18

JellyTipisthebest Wed 02-Mar-16 06:55:38

ones with seat belts are just as safe. only besafe approve the use of fillers so that will limit you to just that brand. I would just get a seat belt one. this one radian 5 has just come out in the uk. it is prob heavy as I am not in the uk and they are here but its a good solid seat that is easy to fit, and not support leg.

KatharinaRosalie Wed 02-Mar-16 06:59:58

I agree, just get a seat belted one. Unless you need to move the seat between cars daily, they are not so difficult to install. With the Axkid, just pull the seatbelt though, hook the tether straps, rock the seat so they tighten and that's it.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now