weekends alone

(6 Posts)
MamaLizard Mon 29-Feb-16 03:51:30

So imagine you are going to be on your own with two kids under five for the entire weekend. Your partner is away on business. It's absolutely pouring with rain, you're relatively new to the country so you don't know anyone to play date with and have no family or friends nearby. Aside from a Disney movie marathon, what on earth do you do to keep all three of you entertained and sane?

sallykins123 Mon 29-Feb-16 15:44:28

Are there any aquariums near by? Thats in doors and would be fun for them.

Have a messy play session?

Bake cakes, if they're old enough.

Google if there are any soft play areas by you to go for an hour, at least it'll get you out.

cornishglos Mon 29-Feb-16 18:43:55

Library, supermarket, baking, painting, splashing in puddles, chopping veg for soup, washing toys in the bath..

winchester1 Mon 29-Feb-16 19:05:45

Go to the shops, park with rain clothes of course and puddle jump. Find somewhere new to explore, even if its just your block or local farm.
Bath, dancing, singing, reading,
Bake, draw, get out some 'new/previously hidden' toys, make the unpacking a game
Easy meals they can help cook

And a treat for yourself on Fri and sat night when they are in bed of course.smile

I've got this in a few weeks, and I'm not looking forward to it and I know people here.

goshnotme Mon 29-Feb-16 19:12:27

Find a local softplay, take a book, and sit there for an hour while they play. Check out the local garden centres - some of these have small play areas attached to the cafe, and some sell fish and small pets, so good fun for the children to look around. Does your local cinema do cheap children's films in the mornings? Ours does children's films at 10.00 a..m.-ish for £1.75 each. Is there a local animal park/zoo? Go there. Any local petting farms? I'm not sure where you are but those are always a winner, whether it's raining or not.

Find a recipe for making play-doh online, and then make it - once it's made they'll spend quite a bit of time playing with it I find.

Bake some biscuits/fairy cakes then decorate them.

Hope that gives you some ideas.

HanYOLO Mon 29-Feb-16 19:14:31

I would plan to go visiting. Or invite someone (maybe someone childless, and benevolent towards my own kids) to visit.

Or alternatively totally embrace it. Plan to do no housework, no washing and get no jobs done, just go with the flow of the kid's pace. Maybe out to a museum and for lunch, or swimming, or out for a walk/park if weather ok. Totally relax on all rules re food and bedtimes. I might have some little crafty projects planned, and a new dvd in stock just in case.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now