Bedguard or gro-to-bed for nearly 2 year old?

(10 Posts)
Mouseymum Sat 27-Feb-16 11:56:17

I can't decide which to use for my toddler. We're going to take the sides of the cot off soon. Does anyone have any advice or experiences to help me choose, please? Thanks!

Highlove Sat 27-Feb-16 14:34:34

Watching with interest so bumping for you.

(Did read that as bodyguard and have found myself thinking we'll need a bodyguard to keep her in bed after the cot sides come off grin)

KittyandTeal Sat 27-Feb-16 14:40:05

We used a bed guard for a bit when Dd first went into a cot bed but quickly moved to the gro to bed. I think they're great when they're little, however, once she got closer to 3 she was obviously wriggling around more and all the duvet covers ripped down the seam next to the Zips. In the end we have up and just tucked a normal duvet in at the bottom to stop it coming off the bed

Pocket1 Sat 27-Feb-16 21:04:33

DD is 2.8 and we took the sides off her cotbed a couple of months ago, simultaneously ditching sleeping bags. We were worried about her not settling, falling out of bed, getting out of the bed or getting out of her room and running around the house.

She's been fine! We've turned her duvet sideways so there's enough to tuck under the mattress both sides - this stops her falling out. And means there's less of the duvet for her to wriggle down under. It's been pretty easy - despite all our worries. Hopefully it'll be easy for you too. Good luck smile

Tanito279 Sat 27-Feb-16 21:10:05

I put DD into a bed a month before her second birthday. No bed guard, no expensive gro to bed and no problems. I put a sleeping bag on the floor in case she fell out, but in 7 months we've had no issues.
Sorry, probably no help but I wanted to share my experience.

amysmummy12345 Sat 27-Feb-16 21:13:16

We used a guard for a few weeks but tbh I was more worried about her standing up and coming over the top of it so took it off, luckily I had a spare cot matress so I keep that under bed and pull it out each night in case she rolls out...

dementedpixie Sat 27-Feb-16 21:15:25

We used a bed guard. I wouldn't spend the money on a the gro to bed thing..far too expensive and that doesn't even include the duvet itself

cornishglos Sat 27-Feb-16 22:54:09

We changed from cot to toddler bed at 18 months as he could climb out and had a sibling on the way. Never considered bed guards or fancy bedding. He's fallen out a few times but is fine. It's not far to fall!

Mouseymum Sun 28-Feb-16 10:51:47

Thanks everybody. We have a travel cot mattress, spare duvets etc so I could put those out in case of falls.

She hasn't actually tried climbing out of the cot yet so I'm trying to leave the whole process as long as possible....but I'd need a little while to save up for a gro to bed, on top of everything else 2 year olds seem to need!

highlove - bodyguard - grin

dementedpixie Sun 28-Feb-16 11:50:36

Ds was in his cot until 2 and a half. I kept him in as long as possible

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now