Talk

Advanced search

Shall I get my 3 or 4 year old a skateboard? :)

(3 Posts)
eastwest Wed 24-Feb-16 11:12:02

I say 3 or 4 because he's 3 and a half at the moment but it would probably be for his fourth birthday.
He has had a balance bike since he was 2.5, and he is really confident and able on it.
He also has a 2 wheel scooter and does really well on that too (I think because his balance has been improved by the bike).
Generally he is very sensible and if anything, more cautious than he needs to be about going down slopes, etc.

We would not be going to a skate park or anything like that. We would not be allowing him to use it anywhere near traffic, ever. He would be using it on the flat, under supervision, in the local park.
I don't anticipate that he'd be doing tricks or anything, but thought it would be a change from the scooter and he could learn to push himself along with his foot and just get familiar with it.

the only info I can find online is from the American Paediatric Association which says children under 5 should not skateboard. But there are also plenty of comments from people who say their 3/4 year old is skateboarding.

My gut feeling is that he would be in no more danger than he is on the bike or the scooter.

Anyone have any experience with this?

ooosaidooo Wed 24-Feb-16 12:25:20

We did, it was fine, we went to a skate shop in the end. They also fitted him up with helmet and pads. The skate parks can be good places during school time as often no one else it there.

eastwest Wed 24-Feb-16 12:30:37

Oh thanks, that's good to know!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now