Talk

Advanced search

Bathing issues

(8 Posts)
woolystockings Tue 23-Feb-16 19:43:57

At Sunday dinner at my parents house and the whole family was there. My 6 yr old ds announces mummy has hairy legs like a man ( ok its been a few days since I shaved) much amusement followed then he went on to explain that he had seen them when we were in the bath. Heads swung in my direction in horror. I was asked do you wear a swimsuit during this ( no I don't) more looks of horror and rolling of eyes. We do occasionally share a bath, a bubble bath, I get in first then call him in he sees nothing. They they made me feel like I was doing something bad and dirty. Do any other mums still share baths with sons at 6? I had never given it much thought until now.

haventgotaclue1 Tue 23-Feb-16 19:48:56

We're not in this situation yet (dd only 15 months), but I really hope that when she is 6 she'll still be having baths with her dad - absolutely can't see anything wrong with it at all, as long as everyone involved (i.e. you and your ds) is happy with it. Currently, dd LOVES her bath times with her dad grin

CMOTDibbler Tue 23-Feb-16 19:51:00

I share with my 9 year old ds and though now I wait until he asks me if I'll get in rather than offering, I'll continue till he doesn't want to.
We are not a 'covered up' kind of household here

jackstini Tue 23-Feb-16 19:52:43

I still get dressed in front of 7yo ds and 9yo dd. Don't see any issue with it.

woolystockings Tue 23-Feb-16 19:54:13

Thanks that's reassuring he always wants to bathe with me although I only do it on occasion but its really lovely and relaxing we play with his toys and blow soapy bubbles. Glad to know I'm not alone here x

3rdrockfromthesun Tue 23-Feb-16 20:17:15

Seriously? They asked you if you wear a swim suit? He is 6 not 15! Seeing your parents naked is normal at this age. I used to babysit two children who never saw their parents naked as they made a big deal about it so constantly wanted to know what the mystery was. If you make being naked an issue then it becomes a hang up

Jw35 Tue 23-Feb-16 20:28:55

I don't have any boys but bathed with my dd up until about 6, then she got too big! I think I probably would with a son too but it's not about me, it's the fact that something you both are comfortable with is being twisted by family who need to mind their own business

woolystockings Tue 23-Feb-16 21:34:52

My parents were never naked in front of us. Maybe that's why i think they are a bit prudish. My sisters and aunts who were all present dont have children so I can only assume they dont realise the bond between parent and child and how these things are normal. I'm used to being criticized by them but that really made me question myself. I couldn't stop thinking about it.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now