meals for 20 month old

(24 Posts)
howiloveanicecupoftea Sat 20-Feb-16 09:14:50

What do you feed your 20 month old each day??

JiltedJohnsJulie Sat 20-Feb-16 09:17:55

At that age mine liked things like ready break with berries for breakfast, eggy bread for lunch and slag Bol for tea.

Are you struggling for ideas or worried in some other way?

PurplePotatoes Sat 20-Feb-16 09:27:21

My DD at that age :

Ready brek, toast, boiled or scrambled eggs, crumpets, fruit for breakfast.

Her usual lunch was a small sandwich or homemade savoury muffin with cucumber slices, cherry tomatoes, babybel cheese or beans/spaghetti on toast, boiled egg and soldiers, omelette, soup.

Dinner at that point was whatever we were having plus extra veg e.g. if we were having curry and rice i'd make her some broccoli on the side.

SnuffleGruntSnorter Sat 20-Feb-16 09:37:05

Slag Bol grin

Are you after ideas or a guide to how much is normal? I can help with ideas but not quantity (my DS is younger but adventurous)

JiltedJohnsJulie Sat 20-Feb-16 09:40:20

Bloody autocorrect. I don't know what kind of woman it thinks I am! grin

mrsmugoo Sat 20-Feb-16 10:29:20

Mine is 23 months but diet hasn't really changed much in the last 3 months

Porridge for breakfast at home. I think they offer other cereals at nursery. Often followed up by toast or croissant at the weekend

Morning snack about 10 - he doesn't always have this but if he does it's usually raisins, rice cake or a rich tea finger. Sometimes popcorn.

Lunch is usually a sandwich (tuna, cheese, ham) with cherry toms or omelette or soup and toast or beans/scrambled egg on toast and a plain Greek yoghurt and chopped fruit to follow

Afternoon snack same choices as morning. At weekends sometimes he is allowed a pure fruit smoothie carton like innocent or maybe some blueberry muffin or similar.

Dinners he eats whatever we have - fish fingers, mash and broccoli / bolognese / quorn stir fry / quiche, potato salad and cous cous / curry / bean chilli with sour cream & guac / baked potato with various fillings / roasted vegetable pizza / sausage, mash, Yorkshire pudding, gravy & veg / fish pie/ carbonara / roast dinner / shepherds pie

He gets fruit after dinner, sometimes a rice pudding depending on the rest of the day's food.

Madlizzy Sat 20-Feb-16 10:46:35

Same as we ate.

rainbowunicorn Sat 20-Feb-16 15:08:10

Mine always had what we were having by the time they were that age. So breakfast may be cereal, toast, eggs, pancakes etc,
Lunch if at home often soup, sandwich, crackers or oatcakes with cheese,
Dinner could be anything from, shepherds pie, curry, chilli, spag bol, fish, chicken casserole, Soup, pasta etc.

IamChipmunk Sat 20-Feb-16 18:44:49

Same as most have said. The same as us really although he doesn't share our dinner as he eats earlier than us.
He is at nursery full time and has all sorts! Cous Cous, chilli, steak pie, fajitas, soup, roast dinner. Most things you could think of really!

Would have cerial/toast/porridge with a banana for breakfast
Today for lunch had sausage, mash, peas with icecream for pudding (a treat as we were out)
Tea was philadelphia sandwich, fruit salad and a rice pudding.

I did blw so he has always just had 'normal' food although he is partial to an occasional ellas fruit pouch mixed with porridge or rice pudding!

howiloveanicecupoftea Sat 20-Feb-16 18:54:04

I've just found out that I should be doing snacks between meals too so feeling bad as ive just been doing 3 meals a day...

rainbowunicorn Sat 20-Feb-16 18:58:32

Why do you think you should be doing snacks, as long as the child is healthy and thriving why would you need to add more food all of a sudden. I have never been able to understand the whole snack thing every couple of hours. There really is no need for it.

mrsmugoo Sat 20-Feb-16 20:01:18

Mine can't last from 7:30 breakfast to 12:30 lunch without a little something (neither can I!)

Likewise, it's a long wait from 12:30 to 5pm dinner time.

As an adult do you really never eat between your 3 set meals and that's that?

Artandco Sat 20-Feb-16 20:06:35

Mine never rarely snack. At 20montjs they would eat at roughly 9am, 2pm, 7/8pm.

Breakfast - porridge, eggs, fruit, yogurt, mushrooms, tomatoes

Lunch - soup, leftover dinner, salmon and rice, salad,

Dinner - anything really. Lamb curry, black bean quesadillas, roast, fish, vegetables

They just ate whatever we had really

Artandco Sat 20-Feb-16 20:07:18

Mrs m - yes, as adults Dh and I eat just 3 meals a day. Roughly 8am, 2pm, 8pm.

LikeASoulWithoutAMind Sat 20-Feb-16 20:08:28

You don't have to do snacks. I rarely gave snacks and if your lo doesn't need them then I wouldn't worry.

IamChipmunk Sat 20-Feb-16 20:14:13

Mine has a snack sometimes if he is hungry and asks for one. I will offer one only if I know his lunch/tea will be later than usual.

If he has had an early tea ill offer toast or a teacake or something similar before bed because he wakes up early if he is hungry!

I don't think you 'have' to offer snacks.

mrsmugoo Sat 20-Feb-16 20:16:57

Crikey I don't know any adults that don't even have so much as a piece of fruit between meals! But if you don't need it then fair enough. But seems a bit extreme to day you "don't understand" the need for offering snacks. I think it really is a long time for a toddler to go 5 hours with no food and I know mine can't, he's really ratty if he doesn't have just a little something in between. I definitely don't let him graze though.

ODog Sun 21-Feb-16 06:46:35

My DS is 20mo and definitely needs to snack between meals (as do I).

A typical day would look like this:

Breakfast: cereal/porridge/toast/small fried breakfast if it's the weekend followed by fruit

Snack: fruit/biscuit/toast/rice cakes/oat bar/raisins/cake or similar

Lunch: crackers/pitta/toast/crumpets with hummus/chopped up veg sticks/beans followed by fruit or biscuit

Snack in the afternoon as above

Dinner: whatever we are having eg spag Bol/curry/pasta and sauce/homemade lamb kebabs/roast etc followed by a yoghurt.

He also has milk first and last thing.

I'm not saying he eats everything at every meal but that's what I offer. Sometimes he has more/less snacks. Depends where we are/what we are doing. He tends to just eat as and when I do unless he asks for food. I'm not particularly rigid about it all really.

NickyEds Mon 22-Feb-16 13:59:37

If your lo is happy enough with 3 meals and no snacks then that's fine, they're not mandatory! My two year old is intolerable without a morning snack but fine without an afternoon one.

howiloveanicecupoftea Mon 22-Feb-16 19:19:38

JiltedJohnsJulie , struggling for ideas first of all

And DS keeps deciding he doesn't like certain foods so things are being eliminated all the time and I feel like I'm already working on a short list of his likes...

howiloveanicecupoftea Mon 22-Feb-16 19:24:44

Breakfast is fine.
We don't do snacks
So it's lunch and dinner....
For lunch he's been having a sandwich with a filling...currently only eating cheese for some reason but had past success with hummus and ham and tuna...
Won't eat cucumber, tomatoes, guacamole...
Dinner he likes spag Bol but other than i struggle...
Likes peanut butter, bananas....
Will eat yoghurt - natural and petit filous...
Drinks loads of water
Likes crackers recently..
What's he missing???

howiloveanicecupoftea Mon 22-Feb-16 19:27:31

Oh he seems go hate toast...hates the texture I think?

Artandco Mon 22-Feb-16 19:29:12

Lunch ideas : baked potato, various soups, leftover dinner, cheese on toast,

Dinner: salmon and rice, peas, mild curry, mushroom risotto, grilled various meats, dips

MeredithShepherd Tue 23-Feb-16 20:16:30

Mine eats the same as me. So cereal/toast/bagel/fruit for breakfast

Sandwich/toastie/salad/beans on toast/jacket potato/quiche for lunch. Followed by yoghurt and/or fruit

Whatever I cook for tea - chilli/curry/spag bol/roast/bbq chicken/risotto/toad in the hole etc

He generally doesn't snack in the morning as hes never bothered and I don't offer unless he asks. After his nap he generally has breadsticks/ricecake/fruit or a biscuit

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now