New baby and elderly relative

(5 Posts)
AFishCalledAmy Fri 12-Feb-16 11:01:25

Hi,
Just wondering whether anyone has any experience similar to our situation. My DH and I are expecting a baby in June. We live with my DH's grandfather who is 90 and would otherwise be on his own.

I've been reading guidance about room temperatures for babies and it states ideally between 16-20 degrees. On the other hand Age UK advise for the elderly 18 degrees for their bedroom and in main front room 21 degrees (or more if they feel chilly).

At the moment the temperature in the front room is at a tropical 24 degrees. I know I'm thinking about this very early but if we need to implement changes his grandfather needs plenty of time for things to be introduced.

Am I needlessly worrying that the house is too hot???

BisherBasherBosher Fri 12-Feb-16 14:45:20

Our flat has always been hotter than the 18-20 degree guideline (new build flat, only one outside wall, baby born in July). We just adjusted the baby's clothing, bedding etc to reflect the higher temperature. Grobag do a guide.

gro.co.uk/pages/what-to-wear

So for a 24 degree room you would put baby to bed in a vest and 0.5 tog Grobag. The SIDS risk lies with the baby overheating, but you can reduce bedding, clothing etc to compensate (maybe try and bring the temperature down by a couple of degrees though if you can).

My friend lives in Australia and it's always 27 degrees in her room. She put her DS to sleep in only his nappy. He's 18 months now and absolutely fine.

AFishCalledAmy Fri 12-Feb-16 18:02:34

BisherBasherBosher Thanks so much! I think I'm at the stage where I'm reading so many guidelines and 'helpful' information that it is frazzling my brain and getting me anxious about things which actually are pretty obvious! It's so easy to get caught up in how everything should be done according to the textbooks and forget life isn't always that straightforward.

Thanks again smile

BisherBasherBosher Wed 17-Feb-16 03:13:32

Glad I can help smile It's not obvious at all btw, nobody knows this stuff... I was worried too until I spoke to my friend in Australia and she told me how her DS slept and pointed me in the direction of the Grobag info.

Topsy34 Wed 17-Feb-16 07:24:17

I agree with Bisher, you adjust the bedding according to temperature.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now