the complaining
the grumpiness
the rudeness
the shoutiness

THE WHINING!!!!!! OMG the whining.

When does it all stop sad

vvviola Wed 10-Feb-16 15:36:49

Um... my 4.5yo is still at it.

8 yo DD1 still has her moments too (although they are thankfully getting rarer).

I suspect it all just tails off for a while before kicking back in for the teenage years!

(Can you tell yesterday was a whiny, shouty, weepy sort of day....)

scandichick Wed 10-Feb-16 15:44:17

But you get to sleep at night, do you? Please tell me you do... desperately looking for an upside, as I have a 2 year old and a baby

DaffyDuck88 Wed 10-Feb-16 15:47:33

We too have a demanding, whining, shouty 3 year old....I had to check the post twice to make sure I hadn't written it in my sleep!

She's adorable most of the time and it's like a switch has been flicked... Verucca Salt once minute and then Pollyanna the next.

flipflopson5thavenue Wed 10-Feb-16 15:47:50

scandichick - no - because my 15mo is still up 3/4 times a night...

But the 3.6 yo sleeps fine thankfully. All that whining is exhausting...

KittyandTeal Wed 10-Feb-16 15:50:24

Oh god the shouting and the rudeness! My dd is a delight but she goes through phases where she is actually a hideous teenager squashed into a cute girls body.

Oh and the negotiating and arguing. She's always got a reason that I have to say yes rather than no!

flipflopson5thavenue Wed 10-Feb-16 16:11:40

his new thing is "Mummy! You're naughty!!" if I tell him something he doesn't like.

Even if it's something like "oh look it's a pigeon"

"no it's not!" yes, it is. "No! Mummy, you're naughty!!"

I don't think I've ever told him he's naughty, so who knows where he's got that from...

vvviola Wed 10-Feb-16 16:26:11

But you get to sleep at night, do you? Please tell me you do...

Um... Sure not really, but then DD2 has always been the incredible non sleeping child. It's a bit easier now that I just crawl into the bed beside her for a while

neversleepagain Wed 10-Feb-16 21:12:42

I have 3 and a half year old twins and I feel like tearing my hair out most days. If one isnt whinging, crying, shouting the other one is. Sometimes they do it together to drive me extra crazy!

IgnoreMeEveryOtherReindeerDoes Wed 10-Feb-16 23:55:12

well if someone tells you it changes when they are 4 is all lies!!! These parents are leading you into false sense of security!

The only hope is to learn how to have selective hearing but the downside is you have to get your child who will be a master of this skill to teach you this!

PurpleTraitor Thu 11-Feb-16 00:02:52

My 3yo does all this all day

And at two hourly intervals through the night

Every night

I have an older one too so I know it isn't just me!

celeste83 Thu 11-Feb-16 00:12:06

3 year olds are arseholes grin

Millionprammiles Thu 11-Feb-16 09:03:08

flipflop - grin at 'Mummy you're naughty' - we get that a lot. Along with 'don't talk to me, I never ever want to talk to you ever again'.

Its the inconsistency I can't cope with though - 'I don't like you' followed by 'I love you so so much' 3 mins later.

flipflopson5thavenue Thu 11-Feb-16 09:35:29

Millionprammiles: I also get "don't say that or I'll put you in the dishwasher!"

Stars66 Thu 11-Feb-16 17:05:57

Sounds like my dd. She only wants me to do anything for her and not her dad. It drives him bananas. I try to explain that she's a child but he won't listen. I'm not sure who is more stubborn!!

Kiwiinkits Thu 11-Feb-16 17:10:54

I've had success reaching my DDs not to whine when they were that age by saying "why are you using a whiiiiiney voice?" In an exaggerated whine tone. Then "ask me in a normal voice" using a mid-range normal tone. That is, demonstrating to them the difference between whiiiine and normal, and telling them what you expect of them.
Might help?

Kiwiinkits Thu 11-Feb-16 17:13:14

3 year olds are funny though. My youngest DD went through a phase of saying "I don't like you mummy. I'm going to cut you up!!" Sinister

BertieBotts Thu 11-Feb-16 17:13:34

I'll put you in the dishwasher grin I love their 3yo threats. So innocent.

BertieBotts Thu 11-Feb-16 17:14:50

I can't remember what DS' was now. He had a great one.

FlyingGoose Thu 11-Feb-16 17:17:54

neversleepagain three and half year old twins here too. Driving me mad at the moment. The fighting, the whining, the 'no's, the not listening. Thankfully I have wine tonight or I might just cry.

FlyingGoose Thu 11-Feb-16 17:19:05

And oh my god... The sheer amount of noise!!

drspouse Thu 11-Feb-16 17:25:27

Kiwi we do something similar to that. When DC1 was about 2 we started saying "say 'Milk please!'" (in frightfully cheerful non-whiney tones). We moved on to saying "Can you ask me in a nice way?" though to start with we just got "nice way" back.

Now we get spontaneous non-whining some of the time and after a reminder "don't forget to ask nicely!" we get non-whining most of the time (just turned 4).

If we weren't going to give whatever it was anyway, we just ignore.

tattyteddy Thu 11-Feb-16 19:30:24

My 4.11 DD is still at it! But she does sleep well, her saving grace!

MiaowTheCat Thu 11-Feb-16 19:46:31

I have one about to turn 4 and one about to turn 3 and feel like sobbing at the thought of a threenager again!

The whining does my fucking head in - we don't have a naughty step, we do, however have a whining step as in "you go and sit there until you're ready to come and talk to me in a proper voice" (before I throttle you or shove a spoon through my eardrum to give me a break from hearing it) and I'm sure the nursery staff think my name is actually "what's for tea" as I never get any of the joyful mummy mummy mummys at hometime but just a demand for menus submitted for approval!

She spent a good couple of weeks whinging that her whinge wasn't working at one noteable point! Now the younger one's started responding to requests with "don't want to... can't do it" as well!

Wine. Lots of it.

Doraemon Thu 11-Feb-16 19:53:37

'I want a ham sandwich'
'Sorry, I haven't got any ham'
'Yes you have'
'No, I haven't, you ate it all.'
'Yes you have!
'No I haven't'
'YES YOU HAVE MUMMY!!!!!!'
and repeat ad nauseum.
I work with 3-5 year olds all day and I swear, other people's children never whinge as much as a your own. I see DD in nursery in the room next to me and she is behaving like an angel. Come four o'clock in the afternoon when I get her back she is a wailing banshee with a ham addiction.
My 8 year old is nice though.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now