Talk

Advanced search

Brushing Teeth

(14 Posts)
LonerDave Mon 08-Feb-16 13:38:24

Just HOW ???

DS 2.2 .... Basically I just pin him down.

Equally, how does this get easier, I worry about teeth hmm

GlitteryFluff Mon 08-Feb-16 13:40:09

We do the same with DS who is 18mo.
I hate it. And if you're still doing it at 2.2 I've still got ages yet before it's not so traumatic... Ahhhhhhh.

FellOutOfBedTwice Mon 08-Feb-16 13:42:35

Same with DD 19 months. Just basically get her in a headlock and scrub. It's horrible!

RoganJosh Mon 08-Feb-16 13:43:32

Sticker chart worked for our middle one. Is it worth a try?

Loulou2kent Mon 08-Feb-16 13:49:55

I remember feeling the exact same. My friends little girl of same age was an angel at brushing her teeth. My boy on the other hand would fight me all the way. However I can say it does stop! My DS still moans about it now but I no longer need to pin him down. I would say it started to change once he turned 3. Hang on in there!! I know how draining it is to have the same disagreement every morning & night!! thanks

LonerDave Mon 08-Feb-16 14:00:24

Pin him down method it is then .... Oh yay!

hufflebottom Mon 08-Feb-16 14:05:16

Flashing toothbrush? If he can brush his teeth for the whole time the light is flashing he gets a sticker.

Pidapie Mon 08-Feb-16 14:06:18

Honestly? We had this issue until a few weeks ago. Then I found this song, and brush my 2 year old's teeth on my lap in front of the laptop... Not ideal but he loves the song so much I get to brush for however long I want!

www.youtube.com/watch?v=wxMrtK-kYnE

AnitaPooh Mon 08-Feb-16 14:10:13

I used to fret and worry over this - no amount of stickers or fancy tooth brushes or fannying around made a difference. I asked my dentist and he said - if takes you holding him down in a headlock, then do it. So, here I am 3 DS's later and I had to pin each of them down until they were about 3 / 4.
They get it eventually.

LonerDave Mon 08-Feb-16 14:18:45

Anita! I'm with you .... So be it

Jw35 Mon 08-Feb-16 16:19:29

I wouldn't pin them down. Not that I don't understand your worry, I do. I just think your toddlers need to be able to listen to you without physical restraint. I'd hand them the toothbrush and settle down in the bathroom with them, just say your not leaving until the teeth are done! Do your teeth at the same time so they learn how to copy you.

Mummyme87 Mon 08-Feb-16 17:06:42

Have you tried an electric toothbrush? My son is 19months and he now let's us brush his teeth since he has an electric toothbrush and we use the aqua fresh app.

I got a Spider-Man toothbrush from boots for £5.99. It looks too big for his mouth but it's not

LonerDave Mon 08-Feb-16 18:39:05

Yes tried the electric toothbrush. Dentist has actually suggested "no if's or buts, teeth need to be brushed" however you do it

Gingergen2013 Tue 09-Feb-16 18:30:43

Took my 2.1 yr old for first check up with dentist a week ago as was concerned that he will chew the toothbrush but WILL NOT brush or let you do it for him. Dentist was happy and said at this age the main concern was getting a pea sized amount of toothpaste in their gob/on their teeth twice a day. So depending on your little ones diet, and if you can at least get the brush and paste in their mouth, you're winning! Only suggestion I have for getting the brush in there in the first place is brushing your teeth at the same time, every time. Worked for us at least, good luck!!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now