difficultly making new friends with babies

(12 Posts)
AllanaB Sat 06-Feb-16 05:59:24

I'm 26 and have a 3 month LG, most of my friends are a lot older or don't have children, I'm pretty shy when I don't know people but would be nice to have some friends I can talk to about babies and just relax with, I was going to go to baby groups but chickened out as the thought of walking in a group Ali e scared me, my partner works nights and sleeps most of the day so I get pretty lonely, I have a good supportive family but just feel having people who understand what parenting is like would be nice grin

icklekid Sat 06-Feb-16 06:03:02

Could you ask someone from your family to go with you? Going alone is scary the first time but onice you are there hopefully there will be friendly people to talk to and get to know over time

AllanaB Sat 06-Feb-16 06:05:36

Yeah, maybe that's my best option! I think once I am there it will be fine it's just walking into a room with lots of people that puts me off and I think it will help my LG too.

Xx

Philoshite Sat 06-Feb-16 06:18:10

Try and go to a few different groups. I tried quite a few and some are friendlier than others! I've got 2 groups that I love and have made some friends there and we're going to do picnics etc when the weather is nice.. If you're anywhere near south Leicestershire I'd be happy to tell you/ show you some good ones

Topsy34 Sat 06-Feb-16 06:30:53

Definitely try local groups, look at neighbouring areas too.

Lots of activity groups (music with mummy etc) do a free taster, so go to one and see how you go.

Just remember everyone in the room will be in the same situation and will have been nervous about going in fir the first time

Peppapigallowsmetoshower Sat 06-Feb-16 06:37:34

It's totally worth the effort. I didn't do it til son was about 4 months, I really couldn't face it and it filled me with trepidation. Now though, I've made some brilliant friends that have seen me through and helped keep me sane! I just went in and sat down, others soon started chatting. Just make your goal: getting there and playing/singing with your wee one. Anything else will be a bonus smile and I'm sure you'll make friends soon enough. It is tough in the early months so being able to chat is good.

BikeRunSki Sat 06-Feb-16 06:42:48

This is exactly what baby groups are for!

AllanaB Sat 06-Feb-16 06:48:13

Thanks for all your replies there is a group on Tuesday that I'm going to go to, like you say it's more for me and my lg. and if I make friends it's a bonus Xthanks

Philoshite Sat 06-Feb-16 07:26:38

Great.. Enjoy smile

silversparrow Sat 06-Feb-16 15:55:23

I found a BF support group useful at first. Then I signed up for baby massage, yoga, singing, music, swimming classes so I had something to go to every day. When these finish I plan to try buggy-fit and baby-signing. The mums usually go for coffee afterwards and I've become good friends with a few. I like sessions that are taught rather than drop-in, as I'm shy and like to have an activity to focus on, (it's an ice-breaker and you don't end up sitting around trying to make small talk).

You could also do a post-natal NCT course (see NCT website) to put you in touch with a group of local mums.

Starman16 Sun 07-Feb-16 01:40:07

If you can, try to find a group that's specifically for new parents - my local Children's Centre (SureStart) runs one and it's for babies under 6 months so I found it really good for making friends as it was all first time mums and babies of a similar age. It also had a short structured discussion element each week which helps you get talking with people. Plus when all the babies can really do is lay around on a play mat it's much easier to sit and have a proper chat! I found baby & toddler groups a bit intimidating with a little one.

skankingpiglet Sun 07-Feb-16 22:06:21

YY to all the PPs. Just please please don't get too disheartened if the first one (or two!) are shite. I was really lucky the first one I went to was lovely, and remains my favourite 20 months later, but have been to some awful ones since. If I had been to the bad ones first, I'm not sure I'd have tried any others. Not all groups are created equal!
Once you get to know a few of the mums you can really stick your neck out and ask them out for tea and cake. I absolutely hate doing this as I'm a wimp, but I've never been made to feel stupid or turned down a number exchange even if it doesn't come to anything.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now