Talk

Advanced search

Have you sent your child with a childminder to get vaccinations?

(17 Posts)
ooooofffffffff Thu 04-Feb-16 15:50:05

I am receiving the ear-bashing of all ear-bashing's from DH today for having a work meeting and sending DD with her childminder (who she loves) to vaccinations.

He says she will be traumatised without a parents present and we'd need to be there if anything went wrong.

Am I a total bitch?

bearleftmonkeyright Thu 04-Feb-16 15:51:40

Obvious question first, why can't be go?

Hippahippahey Thu 04-Feb-16 15:53:21

I think you and your dh are both being a bit unreasonable.

I think a child having any medical procedure or appointment should have a parent with them, for many reasons so yabu.

Your dh is bu to think it should just fall to you to go.

Hippahippahey Thu 04-Feb-16 15:53:46

Oops just seen this isn't in aibu blush

ooooofffffffff Thu 04-Feb-16 15:55:15

Well you have just touched upon the fundamental issue for us which is that DH considers his own work REAL work. And my work FAKE work.

I - KNOWING that he considers my work fake work, before even asking him, got the childminder to take her.

So yes we are probably both BU

Hippahippahey Thu 04-Feb-16 15:59:01

Well I'm assuming it's done now and I'm sure your dd is fine.

Sounds like you and your dh need a good chat, it's not on for him to devalue your job.

starry0ne Thu 04-Feb-16 16:03:38

I refuse to take children o e vaccinated in case of reaction.. which is rare... I see it as part of parents responsibility...

AuntieStella Thu 04-Feb-16 16:10:57

I'm surprised the surgery would carry it out without a parent present (consent forms and all that).

If you arranged it, but then something came up, could you not have rescheduled it?

And of course it'll be his turn to arrange/rearrange the next ones.

Mamabear12 Thu 04-Feb-16 19:33:16

I think it is perfectly fine! For my daughters vaccinations the first time, I had our nanny hold her during. I was there, but could not bear to watch....so had nanny hold her while I stood next and closed my eyes. I breastfed her after and all was fine. It is just a shot, not an operation! I have been to all other vaccinations, but if I had to miss one and send the nanny bc of work ( I do not work, but if I did) I do not think its a big deal. If it were an operation or something serious, then of course I would say you must be there. But a shot is over in seconds. In fact when my daughter was a little older she did not even cry!

Lurkedforever1 Thu 04-Feb-16 19:42:10

I think you're both bonkers tbh. Not because it's traumatic having an injection, but incase there were side effects. Nor would I have been impressed if dds cm had ever taken her to hang around a gps purely because another childs parents didn't want to attend an easily booked in advance appointment.

WaitingForMe Thu 04-Feb-16 19:43:23

I don't think it's appropriate to send your child to a child minder you don't believe could comfort your child during a medical procedure. DS is at pre-school and adores his TA who is the person who would accompany him to A&E in the event of an accident. I wouldn't dream of leaving him with anyone I didn't have that confidence in.

Obviously a parent is the preferred option but it's clear you don't use a child minder because one of you is wafting about eating milk tray and watching old movies. If neither parent is free, it makes sense to use the parent substitute you have chosen.

HSMMaCM Thu 04-Feb-16 19:56:38

Having the injection with a trusted childcarer is fine, but as others have said, there is the possibility of a reaction. I have in my policies that I will not take children for routine appointments, only emergencies.

FreeButtonBee Thu 04-Feb-16 20:10:45

I sent my twins with their nanny for their 12 month jabs. They were absolutely fine! Hibu. And frankly had you not told him would he have known? If he wants to have an opinion he needs to get involved (and not just with an opinion after the event)!

MyBigFatGreekYoghurt Thu 04-Feb-16 20:12:08

Your DH needs an attitude readjustment. Everything else is secondary.

MagpieCursedTea Thu 04-Feb-16 20:47:04

I personally would've rescheduled the jabs but I think the bigger issue is your DH not taking equal responsibility for raising your child.

TheClacksAreDown Thu 04-Feb-16 20:58:34

My nanny has taken DC for theirs. The chances of anything happening off the back of it are very small. There have never been any problems as we gave her a letter clearly spelling out she can take him for medical care including vaccinations.

The OP's DH sounds like a cock though in his attitudes and needs a wake up call.

VinoTintoPorFavor Thu 04-Feb-16 21:08:49

I'm really surprised that a CM would agree to taking them. (It's a different set-up with a nanny, I'm just talking CM.)

For my kids' jabs, I was either still off work (mat leave) or I took the time off to do it, or my husband took the time off to do it. I think that's pretty normal... Yes the issue here is your husband not stepping up to the responsibility, and you not believing you could ask him to do it if you were unable to go yourself... He has no business giving you an earbashing!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now