Advanced search

What's for lunch today? Take inspiration from Mumsnetters' tried-and-tested recipes in our Top Bananas! cookbook - now under £10

Find out more

SAHP help

(6 Posts)
scarednoob Wed 03-Feb-16 07:30:58

Hi all

DP has just given up work to take care of DD when I go back in April. He will be studying for something as yet undecided, but full time carer until she is 3 or so.

Is there anything a SAHP needs to sign up for to protect NI contributions or anything logistical like that? I don't mean JSA, as he won't be looking for a job, but just wanted to check if there is anything he should do re tax or NI?

We don't get child benefit, so I don't think there is anything else to do except file his p45, but I have something vague in my head about NI contributions and just wanted to check with the oracles here.

Thanks all!

BaronessEllaSaturday Wed 03-Feb-16 07:40:40

To get credits for NI he will need to apply for child benefit, you don't need to actually get the money so no need to repay but he will have to claim.

dementedpixie Wed 03-Feb-16 07:53:45

He would need to apply for child benefit in his name and if you earn over 60K you can opt out of the payment. Anywhere between 50-60K you would lose a proportion of the money and it would be paid back by the high earner doing a self assessment tax return.

tribpot Wed 03-Feb-16 08:00:10

I would have him claim the child benefit and have you pay it back - I have always managed to pay back less than I've claimed as the tax return factors in things not considered in PAYE like charitable contributions. The tax return is not difficult to do if your only income is a regular salary.

scarednoob Wed 03-Feb-16 08:20:49

Interesting thank you everyone - at the moment I have claimed it but opted not to receive it, as my salary is over the threshold - but that is a good idea about him claiming and me repaying it, will look into that.

BaronessEllaSaturday Wed 03-Feb-16 11:03:13

You can continue to just claim but opt out of receiving it but you need to change the claim into his name so he can get the credits.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: