Talk

Advanced search

What makes the perfect children's room?

(5 Posts)
PennyHasNoSurname Sat 30-Jan-16 13:17:13

Within the next six months we will put ds (currently 15mo) and dd (currently 4.2) into the master bedroom together and we will take the small second bedroom.

It will be more than big enough for their beds, furniture and all toys (ground floor flat so they can still come and go easily).

I want to get it right though, and have a really good space for them to play in during the day so the toys dont creep back into the (already bursting at the seams) living room diner.

What advice can you give me?

Im thinking its half bedroom half playrooms so any thing you guys have in either rooms you can recommend I would appreciate.

skankingpiglet Sun 31-Jan-16 23:22:49

At the moment my DD is in the small bedroom (she's 19mo). She has a floor bed, her play kitchen, low level bookshelves she can reach, a toy box, and wall canvases at a height for her. We have a chair for us in there too which is a bit of a left-over from breastfeeding. There's a built-in wardrobe. We have removed anything that could pose a risk to DD and put a stairgate across the door. She absolutely loves her room and I think everything being set to her height really helps. She helps tidy away each night (well she tries!), and I think having areas for things even in her small room helps to keep it tidy.
We currently have DC2 on the way, so DD is moving into a larger room although they will end up sharing if #2 is another girl and once her sleeping is ok (if a boy they will stay in the smaller room). I'm going for a woodland theme with a custom bunk bed to look like a cottage (the benefit of being a carpenter). DD will start on the bottom bed, with the upgrade of top bunk if/when her sis moves in. If a brother it'll be a spare for friends and a cosy reading nook. I'm going to have a reading corner with big cushions, more low shelves, and one of those Ikea leaf canopies. The play kitchen will go in somewhere and I'll build a wardrobe and toy storage along one wall. I'll put a rug in the middle, but want to leave the centre of the room clear for play. She'll have a toddler table downstairs for drawing etc. So I'm not going to halve the rooms for sleep/practical stuff and play, but still have defined areas.
Is it worth investing in bunks to maximise the space?

PennyHasNoSurname Mon 01-Feb-16 06:42:06

We have the Kura bed from Ikea, currently on the low setting for dd, but evetually we will flip it and put ds cotbed mattress on the bottom and dd can climb up the few steps.

The room is mahoosive so it isnt essential to have bunks but I just really liked the Kura bed. Eventually theyll have one each with a play den/cosy nook underneath.

allegretto Mon 01-Feb-16 06:44:59

My DS has just been round to a friend's house for the first time and they actually had a fireman's pole to go from his friend's room downstairs - thought this was a myth! It's not going to happen here - also because we have a first floor flat! - but that is now on the list of the perfect room credentials!

PennyHasNoSurname Mon 01-Feb-16 11:47:56

Oh wow!! We are ground floor with no basement so no chance of that here either but the requests for playdates at theirs must be immense!

I did see a climbing wall on one webpage which looked awesome but dd trips over her own feet standing still so I darent.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now