How to deal with bickering and fighting?

(4 Posts)
Strangeoccurence Wed 27-Jan-16 17:39:51

I think i have been refereeing, and i realise that is not helping.
I have decided to take the approach of "not interested".
This has resulted in the bickering escalating into physical fighting.

I had tried time outs and stuff, but its not helpful as its obviously a natural-ish thing amongst siblings.

Physical fighting i struggle to ignore as i dont believe anyone should be hitting.
So am i right in thinking this is the time i seperate them both to time outs, maybe?

Any tips or ideas as its driving me mad grin thanks

MissBattleaxe Wed 27-Jan-16 17:42:28

My two do this. God the shrieking and yelling! I usually separate and distract. Doesn't always work but it's best shot.

"One of you in one room doing X and the other can come and choose/help/do this in another room"

You'll never get to the bottom of who started if they both yell denials so just split them up. You have my sympathy!

Hassled Wed 27-Jan-16 17:42:36

Physical stuff - yes, they both go elsewhere (here it's to their rooms). You do need to separate. And absolute zero tolerance - you're in there like a shot.

Standard squabbling - I tend to leave them to it, on the basis that that way they'll learn the art of conflict resolution. Patchy results, though.

Strangeoccurence Wed 27-Jan-16 18:02:57

Thanks.
I hate name calling, too. So trying to ignore it is hard.
Im going to stick with it. As for fighting, im pleased to hear intervening is best as i dont think i could just ignore that!

Hopefully i will see an improvement in a week or two

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now