Talk

Advanced search

Best nightlight for scared of the dark 3.5 year old?

(10 Posts)
milkyman Wed 27-Jan-16 15:18:04

He doesnt like his gro clock so looking for other ideas - he is easily distracted so no disco lights! Something calm and reassuring (to stop him waking at 4.30am...

Dollyemi Wed 27-Jan-16 15:22:57

We have an Aloka nightlight. Comes with remote control to change colour, brightness, timer etc. Bought mine from Achica but they're available at various online retailers and will post a link to the giraffe one on John Lewis www.johnlewis.com/aloka-baby-giraffe-sleepylight-night-light/p2195358

Teds77 Wed 27-Jan-16 15:27:40

My DTs have one of these each which they can hold in bed/have next to them -

http://www.roseandgrey.co.uk/woodland-nightlight

We also have a small string of copper LED lights on the old fireplace in their room that I often leave on until they're asleep. Something like this -

http://mobile.festive-lights.com/battery-lights/20-warm-white-led-silver-wire-battery-fairy-lights.html?utmsource=gbase&utmm_medium=se&utmcampaign=gb&gclid=CNzruu_amysoCFQcYwwod3bUCnA

DreamingOfThruxtons Wed 27-Jan-16 15:43:17

Nice ideas above: one thing we also did was to switch to a dimmer switch for the room light. Initially, my daughter insisted on virtually the highest setting, but over time we've been able to reduce this, and now she often asks for it to be darker. (She has fairy lights and an IKEA heart mounted to her headboard, as well as a Gro-Clock).

She is also enchanted by our new diffuser which has a changing light and lives on the landing outside her room. I put lavender oil in it. Don't know if they'd be an issue to put into a bedroom with a younger child though (mine is 4.5)?

milkyman Wed 27-Jan-16 17:15:11

Thanks all - do they help with early wakinf?

Teds77 Wed 27-Jan-16 18:32:31

Probably a no from me I'm afraid. I usually turn the various lights off once mine have settled. DTD often wakes in the night and she'll say it's too dark. I then turn night lights back on and she'll go back to sleep. But I'm not sure that's quite what you are looking for?

scarednoob Wed 27-Jan-16 18:46:14

Kirstie Shaw on "not on the high street" does lovely personalised ones - the child's name is laser cut in the shade, so it projects. It's my present of choice for new babies now! I got DD the colour changing one, which has a white shade, or you can choose from a few different colours.

feelinginthedark Sun 31-Jan-16 03:44:54

We have a skip hop little owl that sits in bed with her and has a large button on the back which activates a gentle light, and which she can turn on by herself if she wakes in the night and needs it. It goes off by itself gradually after 20 minutes I think. Our 3yo hasn't complained of being scared of the dark since she got it 😀. Munchkin does a similar product but we prefer the Skip
Hop one.

feelinginthedark Sun 31-Jan-16 03:46:29

I should add that she also has two regular nightlightsin he

feelinginthedark Sun 31-Jan-16 03:47:04

R room that stay on, but this little owl provides extra light and reassurance when she needs it

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now