Talk

Advanced search

Nappy changing active boys....

(12 Posts)
Runnerd Tue 26-Jan-16 15:33:02

Ds is 6mo so I should be a pro at changing him by now but he's recently discovered the exciting toy between his legs which is making poo changes a nightmare.

As soon as his nappy comes away he goes straight in for a play and then the pooey hand gets waved round the mat/wall/mouth/clothes/me shock. I've tried...
- holding his hand out of the way, but then trying to do clean - up one handed doesn't really work
- giving him a toy to hold. But he feels between his legs then goes back to the toy so then I just have an extra pooey thing to contend with

This is surely only going to get worse as he gets more mobile, so is there some magic technique I'm missing??!

moggle Tue 26-Jan-16 16:58:27

Well firstly my DD went through an awful phase around 7-10 months with nappy changes which drew me to tears a couple of times... but since then has not been so bad so it won't necessarily get worse as he gets older.

The main "trick" I use is to wipe down with the front of the nappy as I'm opening it so that by the time there is access for DD's hands the worst of the poo is off. not sure if that works quite as well for boys with the extra, er, out-y bits!

Also we use Cheeky wipes which are reusable small flannel squares. They are excellent for poo because they actually wipe it off rather than smear it around which I find normal wipes are prone to do. I usually only need to use one wipe even on a pooey bum, it's that good at cleaning, and they are also easier to pick up one-handed than getting a disposable out of a packet.

Also I read (on here probably) a suggestion to get some parcel tape and scrunch it in a ball, sticky side out, and give them that to hold when you go to open the nappy... Won't cause any harm but will keep their hands away while you deal with the poo. Plus if they touch their bum and go back to the parcel tape you can just put the tape in the nappy bag along with the nappy!

ALemonyPea Tue 26-Jan-16 17:00:36

Having had three boys, Im sorry to say there is no special way to do it other than be as quick as possible.

I used to use one arm as a barrier, so elbow pointing towards there head so I could use both hands.

WilLiAmHerschel Tue 26-Jan-16 17:07:04

Not a boy but my dd went through a grabbing stage! The best thing I found was to have everything ready before lying her down. So nappy bag open, wipes out. Give her a toy to hold to distract her. (It won't distract for long!) Then as soon as you take the nappy off, quickly do a wipe as fast as you can to remove the bulk of it. Then carry on working as fast as you can while saying "Nooo don't touch it!"

Although, be grateful he isn't walking yet. As the next stage for me was chasing a half naked baby covered in poo round the room, trying to wipe her clean and stop her from sitting down!

Runnerd Tue 26-Jan-16 17:30:49

Brilliant thanks, a few things there i can try grin Its only happened at home so far so ive been able to give up and just decamp to the bath. I've been dreading a bad nappy when we're out! I'm off to put some parcel tape in the change bag!

purpleme12 Tue 26-Jan-16 19:22:13

My little girl used to put her hand down there when she'd done a poo at nappy time too. It went on quite a while I'm afraid.distraction didn't work, the toys would just get poo on. I told her every time no we don't do that and why but ultimately I had to wait for her to grow out of it which has only fairly recently happened!

Oogle Wed 27-Jan-16 12:58:44

The grabbing was nothing for me...he now turns over, stands up, sits up, does absolutely everything to make a nappy change impossible. It reduces me to tears.

I usually give him my iphone and 7 times out of 10 that's successful.

FemaleDilbert Wed 27-Jan-16 13:02:19

I try to pin him (gently!) with an arm horizontally across the back of his thighs (so feet are in the air) that tends to block his access to his bits whilst I use the other hand to wipe

BendydickCuminsnatch Wed 27-Jan-16 13:04:25

Nappy changes total nightmare at the mo. Crawling 8 month lunatic boy. His fave is to roll away, sit on the carpet with a pooey bum, then stand and hold onto his cot with his pooey hands. Poo everywhere. He weed on my pile of freshly washed wipes yesterday. Going to try the holding-down-with-elbow trick grin

badg3r Wed 27-Jan-16 14:10:45

I feel your pain OP. A not insignificant number of nappy changes have ended with me crouching over 13 month old DS dangling my boob in his mouth while dh deals with the business end.

BendydickCuminsnatch Wed 27-Jan-16 14:29:13

grin Badg3r!!!!

FireflyGirl Fri 29-Jan-16 17:55:33

10mo DS has had his bum changed stood up for a couple of months now, usually distracted by an Organix carrot puff. I stand him on the changing mat as he is prone to waiting until his nappy is off to wee. I also get the pull ups as they're easier and weep silently into my pile of beautiful reusable nappies

However, best thing for us has been to sit him on the toilet when he wakes up. He poops there, and it saves me the hassle!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now