Toddler on a plane, is this going to end badly?

(20 Posts)
Ilovenannyplum Sun 24-Jan-16 22:09:16

DS will have just turned 2, 2 hour flight Gatwick to Menorca.
Is this going to be awful?
Someone tell me we'll survive this unscathed....

can I let him watch minions and eat milkybar buttons for 2 hours?

ceeveebee Sun 24-Jan-16 22:18:56

Nah you'll be fine - once they're in their own seats it's much easier - yes to snacks and iPad to keep the peace!
We're doing an 8 hour overnight flight with 4 yo twins next month, wish us luck (and the other passengers...)

Iguessyourestuckwithme Sun 24-Jan-16 22:20:04

Had a 16 month old on a 10 hour flight - we survived; 2 hours it'll be a breeze smile

dementedpixie Sun 24-Jan-16 22:21:46

2 hours is nothing

Eminado Sun 24-Jan-16 22:22:15

2 hours - you will be fine!!

Did 12 hours with dd on my own and I am still here.

IslandGirlie Sun 24-Jan-16 22:28:14

I've done 12hrs with similar ages of DCs, 2hrs is doable. Tv, toys, snacks and any other distraction you can think of will help.
Is napping? Will the flight be around his nap time?

Heatherbell1978 Sun 24-Jan-16 22:33:32

We're flying to Australia in March with toddler. 24 hours. Swap? confused

Ilovenannyplum Mon 25-Jan-16 08:01:55

@heather errr, no you're ok, thanks thoughwink

Ok, I feel better today after my brief. OH GOD ITS GOING TO BE AWFUL moment last night.

Although we're traveling in a party of 14. There will be other kids including another 2 yr old. Sorry in advance fellow plane travellers.
Flights at 11 so nicely timed for lunchtime. And not nap time. Super.
I am very much looking forward to this holiday despite sounding like I'm not FYI

Nectarines Mon 25-Jan-16 08:12:33

Took 22 month old on her first flight in summer. 4.5 hours.
Gave her milk then she napped for just over an hour, followed by snacks, iPad, colouring, books and more snacks! She was on my lap which made it a little trickier but managed fine! No tantrums!

Hulababy Mon 25-Jan-16 08:15:15

IT will be fine. Took dd on a 9 hour flight at 2y and she was perfectly happy. She had various snacks, and had a bag full of books and small toys to entertain her. And watched some of the screen back TV - I know you won't have a TV on a short flight but you could download some onto a tablet.

wonkylegs Mon 25-Jan-16 08:21:23

Really depends on the kid and how distractable they are. Our son has always been fine on planes and he's been flying pretty regularly since he was 1 (now 7) Snacks, toys and books and now the iPad mean he's usually better behaved than some of the adults on the flight.

ceeveebee Mon 25-Jan-16 08:27:27

Flying over lunch is good - you can easily kill an hour with a plane picnic - and as far trying to time a 2 hour flight over nap time, forget it! In my bitter experience it never works flying at nap time as they never actually want to nap on an exciting plane ride so just get overtired and fractious!

Bunbaker Mon 25-Jan-16 08:28:32

Please can I ask that you make sure that your toddler does not kick the seat in front of him. This is probably the most irritating, rage inducing thing that can happen on a plane.

Twowrongsdontmakearight Mon 25-Jan-16 08:31:47

Depends on your child really. Others have obviously been fine. We tried two 'abroad' hols when DS was 18mth and 2 1/2. Skiathos and Tunisia. Both were disasters having to constantly walk up and down on the plane and then spend all day in the air conditioned room because it was too hot (in early May). We learned our lesson and stuck to the UK for the next few years but that's just us. To be fair I'm not keen on heat either so what did I expect!

Rinceoir Mon 25-Jan-16 08:35:15

I regularly fly short haul with my 21month old. At 2 he will have his own seat which makes a huge difference. I usually tire DD out in the airport as much as possible- lots of walking and then lunch in giraffe/Leon type place. If it's nap time I give her milk and hope she will sleep; otherwise she's usually entertained by looking out window/stories/colouring/iPad/chocolate buttons in emergency!

Ilovenannyplum Mon 25-Jan-16 08:42:41

Bunbaker - don't worry, that gives me the rage so I definitely won't let him kick the seat in front.
Tbh he's so tiny still that I doubt his little legs will reach the seat in front anyway

Thanks all, iPad distraction seems the way to go.
Or just sit him with his dad and see them both at the end of the flight grin

ceeveebee Mon 25-Jan-16 08:47:18

Hmm, since my twins were old enough for one seat, we somehow always seem to get allocated a 3 and a 1 - and guess who always gets the 1 seat (clue: not me!!).

Ilovenannyplum Mon 25-Jan-16 09:05:18

Excellent work Ceevee, I trust you also take advantage of the inflight refreshments wine ?

DesertOrDessert Mon 25-Jan-16 09:08:53

Yes yes yes to preloaded iPad of toddler treat films and games.
Yes yes yes to bribery snacks. Maybe throw some raisins or dry cereal in there for variety.

2 hrs will be fine. Honestly. And most people, other than the poor bloke who was sat in a block of four next to me, DS1 and DS2, won't really hear the kids DS unless they are really scratching or running riot up and down the aisles.

Apart from the people your traveling, your unlikely to see the other passengers again, so do your best, and ignore the rest.

Enjoy your holiday

DesertOrDessert Mon 25-Jan-16 09:11:14

Blah.
won't really hear the kids unless they are really screetching

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now