Give me your best practical tips for a pukey toddler

(7 Posts)
soundsystem Sun 24-Jan-16 19:43:46

Dd1 (15 months) is in the midst of her first ever puke-fest. We're on the second lot of bedding and the third set of PJs.

Please give me your top practical tips!

So far I've got:

Towel under where she's sleeping to avoid having to change old bed.

Small sips of water to stop her getting dehydrated.

Anything else I need to do, except cuddles and sympathy?

(I come from a family of people who never throw up, so am lacking experience in this! When DH throws up I tend to be sympathetic from a distance which obviously isn't an option!)

Scootergrrrl Sun 24-Jan-16 19:46:25

Ice lollies or ice pops if plain water doesn't cut it. And we were once told by a GP that, coming out of a tummy bug, anything goes food wise. If they want crisps, give them crisps and so on. Good luck and hope it's over soon.

CwtchMeQuick Sun 24-Jan-16 19:50:14

Ah poor thing!

Lots of towels and blankets layered everywhere.
A bowl or potty next to her so you can try and catch some of the sick.

I still DS in the shower after he's been sick if he seems well enough to freshen him up.

Don't give milk. It can make them sick more and it's disgusting to clear up.

Other than that just lots of cuddles and hope she's better by morning!

Mamabear12 Sun 24-Jan-16 20:11:00

When she is ready to eat, I would try first the BRAT diet - Bananas, Rice (white), Apple puree, Toast (white). Stay away from dairy. If she is okay on that diet, then chicken soup w carrots and potatoes or something similar. Easy on the tummy.

Also, make sure to clean everything in the wash 60 or 90 to kill the germs in case its a tummy bug. And wipe down surfaces, toys etc.

Pobspits Sun 24-Jan-16 20:23:11

Wash everything at a high heat. Put pukey washing in the bath and then you can clean it easily afterwards.

Get as much clothes and bedding ready to use as you can. Have wipes and antibacterial wipes nearby and lots of soap and a separate towel.

You can give her sugary squash if need be - it might give her a wee bit energy.

If she has longish hair then tie it back.

Have two bowls or buckets ready. Make sure you hVe a lot of nappies and some cream in case it turns into diarrhoea.

soundsystem Sun 24-Jan-16 21:35:18

Thanks all, that's all really helpful.

We've had two sick-free hours so touch wood the worst is over!

abbsismyhero Sun 24-Jan-16 22:08:01

lemonade and sugar water basically all sugar lemonade add more sugar (which does make it fizz) add a drop of water and sip helps soothe nausea side effect is energy lots and lots of energy

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now