What do you do at a child's birthday party

(7 Posts)
MamaAwayOnBusiness Wed 20-Jan-16 13:50:59

I'm not from England and looks like things here are being differently to back home so I need some advice please. My DS (22mo) has been invited to the 4th birthday party of my colleague's DC. It's the first "proper" birthday party for both me and my DS (birthday party venue, party bags, RSVP etc.) so not really sure what is expected, and what to expect... It's a joint party with another child we don't know but I'm guessing we would only bring something for the child we know? How much would you spend? What is appropriate? How long do they usually go on for?

And what do I do with myself when the kids are playing (I'll only know one person there)?

MamaAwayOnBusiness Wed 20-Jan-16 13:51:42

being done of course

MamaAwayOnBusiness Wed 20-Jan-16 14:35:18

Bump. Anyone?

Cleensheetsandbedding Wed 20-Jan-16 14:40:32

I'd probally spend £10 on each child with it being a joint party.

I'd just go and chat to the other parents that will be there making polite chit chat. You will probally be up wandering around after your DC so you will be occupied with that

ArcheryAnnie Wed 20-Jan-16 14:43:59

If you only know one person there, then this is an excellent chance to get to know more!

It depends what your circumstances are like about what to spend, but with me, I would get something nice but not wildly extravagant. A couple of nice hardback picture books is the sort of thing I'd go for at that age. Or you can ask the colleague what the birthday child might like?

Seeline Wed 20-Jan-16 14:45:11

If you don't know the other child, then only buy for the one you do know. Depending on how well you know them/parent I'd spend £7-10.
What sort of party is it?
If it's a 'proper' party, the venue will probably do a party package so eg soft play would be an hour playing followed by 30-40mins food, and then home. The invite should say how long the party is to last.
Parents usually sit and chat, have a coffee and wander round after their children. But obviously depends where the party is.

MamaAwayOnBusiness Wed 20-Jan-16 14:54:13

ArcheryAnnie that's a nice take on it. I'm normally shy so am dreading not knowing anyone, but as you say I should see it as an opportunity to meet more people. I'm sure DS will love playing with all the kids.

Seeline ahh that's good to know, yes it's a party venue, I was worried it may go on for the whole afternoon, 1.5 hrs I can do definitely.

Thanks for your replies everyone!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now