Talk

Advanced search

How many blankets?

(13 Posts)
LariyahSpen Mon 18-Jan-16 23:36:21

Any advice much appreciated. My daughter is 10 months & in this cold weather she sleeps in a vest, baby grow, grow bag (sleeveless) & a doubled over blanket up to her chest and tucked in to her cot.

Our flat is first floor & small so stays quite warm, we don't put the heating on at night. Her thermometer is at 18 degrees and with a smiley face suggests the room is 'cool' enough but I do worry she's too cold.

I've been waking up multiple times to check her, as I keep umming and aaing over putting more blankets/layers on her but also worry shed then be too hot! confused

How much are you layering up your little ones for bed?

Akire Mon 18-Jan-16 23:39:15

Sounds about right, if she was cold or too hot she would most likely be waking up to complain.

Abbinob Mon 18-Jan-16 23:41:39

That sounds warm enough to me, I was always told one more layer than you need to feel comfortable or is that just for newborns?
You can get fleecy pajamas for babies in primark for a couple of pounds, they seem to keep my DS warm even when he chucks his covers off, might be an idea if you think she seems cold?

TitusAndromedon Mon 18-Jan-16 23:41:39

I think that's far too many layers. My 8 week old boys are in a sleepsuit and 2.5 tog gro bag in a room of similar temperature. The gro bag guidelines actually say they should only be in a long sleeved vest, but I don't have any and they don't seem to mind.

Remember that if they are cold they will let you know, whereas too warm and they will become lethargic. I prefer to err on the side of cool.

Ughnotagain Mon 18-Jan-16 23:43:38

My DD is in one less layer than that and she's fine. Vest, sleepsuit, grobag. Thermostat set to 16.

LittleBearPad Mon 18-Jan-16 23:45:14

Is she waking up numerous times? If she was cold she would do.

LariyahSpen Mon 18-Jan-16 23:47:28

Thanks for your quick responses

No she never seems to stir much so she can't be that cold! I definitely agree with not letting little ones get too warm but I just worry she's cold & uncomfortable.

Cb148 Tue 19-Jan-16 00:31:38

You can buy warmer sleeping bags & ones with sleeves etc. Vertbaudet seem to have quite a few.

SnuffleGruntSnorter Tue 19-Jan-16 00:38:40

My 7 month old is in a long sleeve vest and 2.5tog sleeping bag. Thermometer in his room says 19. Remember the sleeping bag keeps all the cosy warm air trapped next to your baby unlike our duvets.

I think the advice is not to put a blanket over the sleeping bag but not sure why

purplewhale Tue 19-Jan-16 00:56:13

It's 18.5 degrees here. DS is in a long sleeved bodysuit/vest, a babygro and a 2.5 tog sleeping bag and he's fine. His tummy and back feel warm but not boiling. He does have cold hands though which I wonder about.

PennyHasNoSurname Tue 19-Jan-16 01:19:47

No need for the blanket imo. Our bedroom is 16-18° and ds (14mo) wears a pair of pjs, no vest, and a grobag.

Dds room is cooler again, she wears pjs and sleeps under a duvet with a thin fleece blanket over the top.

MariaV0nTrapp Tue 19-Jan-16 01:29:35

Usually my 6m dd is in a 2.5 tog sleeveless sleeping bag with just a longsleeved vest on and a fluffy pram blanket that she likes to hold, not covered by it though just to the side of her. Didn't want to disturb her tonight because I'm tired yet still awake so she's in a vest, sleepsuit tucked in loosly with her favourite fluffy blanket and another pram blanket on top of that. We have the heating on not sure of the temp though, just nice, not sweaty smile

MariaV0nTrapp Tue 19-Jan-16 01:32:00

She doesn't have her sleepsuit tucked in. Comma in the wrong place missing an 'and' blush

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now