introducing finger food to 7 month baby

(6 Posts)
BeeHive75 Sat 16-Jan-16 15:47:28

I am weaning my dd and she's enjoying pureed food. I would love to introduce finger foods but I'm wary about it, terrified she will choke on something. I've looked at websites that talk about the types of foods she can have but not the size and I don't want to get this wrong. Can anyone help set me in the right direction?

lilac3033 Sat 16-Jan-16 16:52:22

I was like that, so used one of these first.
www.amazon.co.uk/Munchkin-Fresh-Food-Feeder-Colours/dp/B004QQ5HMU
It helped me feel more secure while letting DD use her hands.
I generally go the size of my thumb. Babies have great gag reflexes, so your DD will probably make some scary noises but that is normal. Just have to watch her like a hawk!

villainousbroodmare Sat 16-Jan-16 17:05:32

I'm handing chunks of banana, nectarine, cheese, toast crusts etc to my 6 mo and just sitting in front of him watching closely. I give him biggish chunks, just as much for his ease in getting a bit into his mouth (as opposed to chompsing on his own knuckles) and so that he is more sucking and gnawing than anything else as he develops his skills.

Look online for first aid manoeuvre: www.youtube.com/watch?v=h4uS5EmpeEs

I am handing DS over to my ultra-cautious mother in a couple of weeks, though, and I don't know what she will feel comfortable with in terms of finger food. He'll be sucking through a straw, probably! grin

GoldPlatedBacon Sat 16-Jan-16 19:12:40

I find broccoli and cauliflower florets are good for my 6 month old as they are easy to hold but tend to disintegrate when gnawed

tinymeteor Sat 16-Jan-16 19:30:33

Slices of ripe pear are a good first food, as they are solid enough to be finger food but mushy enough to be easily chewed and so present minimal choking hazard (in my non expert opinion). Basically I avoided crunchy stuff until I was confident DD had a few teeth and some technique!

PragmaticWench Sat 16-Jan-16 19:34:26

I avoided grapes as they can easily slip down the throat and block it. Apart from that I gave everything, in big chunks, the size of an adult thumb or larger.

The main thing is to know the difference between choking and gagging; choking is usually silent and is serious, whereas gagging is noisy and not serious. In fact gagging is good for babies to learn how to prevent choking!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now