Talk

Advanced search

Age for bunk beds?

(22 Posts)
kate7590 Sat 16-Jan-16 13:28:33

Long way off yet for my little lad, I know, but have been wondering about it!

With our second baby due later this year Iv been thinking about sleeping arrangements when both children are older and sharing a bedroom (probably)
Bunk beds seem the obvious choice so they'll have more space on the floor for playing.

At what age have you put children in the top bunk of a bunk bed? Iv read 6 years, is that about average?
There will be about 2 and half years between my children smile

BackforGood Sat 16-Jan-16 13:43:56

Yes, I wouldn't put anyone in the top of a bunk, younger than 6.
What I didn't realise, before mine had bunks, was how difficult it is for you to change the sheets ...... so worth waiting until you are sure they have finished the phase of being sick in the night or wetting the bed, so you only have to change routinely and not lots.
Nor did I realise how much I'd miss sitting next to them on the bed when they are snuggled in, to read a story... it's not very practical for adults to be able to do that on a bunk.

kate7590 Sat 16-Jan-16 13:47:55

I hadn't even thought of that! Thanks smile

FATEdestiny Sat 16-Jan-16 13:50:27

We bought bunk beds recently and could not find any without a safety note saying 6+ for the top bunk.

We bought bunk beds when my boys were 5 and 9 years old - with the understanding that youngest wasn't allowed to sleep on the top bunk for safety reasons (which solved all arguments).

In addition I wouldn't have put my child into a single bed until about 4 or 5 years old because they are high off the floor. My boys in particular have fell out of bed a few times in the first couple of years out of a cot. I suppose you could use a bed guard, but we stuck with the toddler bed because these are lower to the ground than a single bed.

Bounced Sat 16-Jan-16 13:51:58

I climb up and cuddle every night grin

If suggest getting one of those beds that can turn into a bunk or a high sleeper, it's gives you options. The brands I remember (it was a while ago) are Flexa and Thuka. I got a batgain on eBay and will probably buy another one in a few years to make a bunk bed for both kids.

kiki22 Sat 16-Jan-16 21:37:49

We bought bunks for DS (just turned 3 at the time) and for my neice staying (8) with the idea she's on top he's in the bottom as it turned out she hated the top and DS loved it so hes slept on top from 3 he's never had any accidnets but I would say DS is super coordinated and a natural climber and good at following rules like no standing on top bunk felt 100% about him getting up and down when my neice was 3 I wouldn't have done it she would have broke her neck getting down!

kiki22 Sat 16-Jan-16 21:39:16

Oh and DS was in a single bed from 17 months so he was already used to a big bed.

bsmirched Sat 16-Jan-16 21:58:35

My 2 have just gone in to bunks. DS1 is 5.5 and DS2 is 2.5. DS1 is very sensible and never needs to get up in the night for a wee though!

TeenAndTween Sat 16-Jan-16 22:15:41

When we bought a high sleeper for DD2 we switched bedtime story into our double bed. So she has the story then moves back to her bedroom.

westcountrywoman Sat 16-Jan-16 22:47:36

I think the minimum age for the top bunk in safety notices is 6 years now. It's not just about the risk of falling out the bed / off the ladder, but the risk of entrapment between the bed and the wall. Smaller children can slip and get trapped between the top bunk and the wall if they move in their sleep. If they aren't tall enough to reach down with their feet onto the lower bunk to support their weight, there's the risk of getting caught at the neck, with serious consequences.
IKEA make a lower level mid sleeper called KURA. It's meant to have a play space underneath but you could but a mattress here instead for the younger child to sleep on.

Gisla Sat 16-Jan-16 22:51:54

Ikea also have a new lower but full length bunk bed called TUFFING m.ikea.com/gb/en/catalog/products/art/00239233/

My 5 year old was too long for his toddler bed but I didn't want him in a proper bunk bed, this one is not as high (so its easier to change the sheets too) and the bottom bunk is the same height as the old toddler bed was, so perfect for my younger dc when they are ready to move to their own bed.

Howmanyminutes Mon 18-Jan-16 20:11:03

We're soon buying one for our 3.5 year old but we're not going to fit the ladder till she's 6, she's outgrown her toddler bed and this'll work better long term for her and her younger sister. I'm assuming you can just leave the ladder off and it won't affect the stability, does anyone know?

uhoh2016 Tue 19-Jan-16 08:52:05

I got bunk beds when ds1 was just turning 6 he always went on the top. Ds2 is now 5 and they swapped a few months ago, he often got up and down before this so they could read together or play ipad so was confident getting up and down never had any problems

Sometimesithinkimbonkers Tue 19-Jan-16 09:12:20

Jeeez my DD was 18 months when she went into a bottom bunk. DS was 5 .... Neither have fallen out of bed. Tuck them in!

A 5 year old in a toddler bed is ridiculous. I've got a couple of unused cotton wool suits here if you'd like them!

SerenityReynolds Tue 19-Jan-16 09:17:50

At the moment DD1 (3) is in the cot bed with the side down. DD2 (6 weeks) is in with us in the moses basket. We plan to buy bunk beds when DD2 needs the cot bed in a few months. DD1 will go on the bottom bunk and we just won't attach the ladder.

KatharinaRosalie Tue 19-Jan-16 09:19:06

Something like this? LOw heigh in case of falls, and high sides, so can't roll between the bed and wall
www.sleeplandbeds.co.uk/sleepland-oak-shortie-low-bunk-beds

SansaClegane Tue 19-Jan-16 09:26:34

I don't 100% remember but my DS1 was about 3.5-4 years old when we moved him into the top bunk. I made sure he could climb the ladder confidently before we did so. He does get up for a wee in the night sometimes; but we never had any issues falling out / falling off the ladder / getting wedged between bed and wall (how? There is a rail on the wall side, too?!). I think it depends on your child and how confident they are about the ladder!
DS2 was quite young when we moved him into the bottom bunk as he hated his cotbed; he did look very little in it to begin with (he was under 2). We put blankets on the floor next to his bed to begin with in case he rolled out, but he never did.

Blingygolightly Tue 19-Jan-16 09:43:11

Very helpful thread! The dcs are desperate for one. There are a few things I hadn't thought of, like 7yo gets up every night to wee. Thank you!

ooosaidooo Tue 19-Jan-16 09:54:55

They usually go up at age 3 in this house, I couldn't wait until 6! I am keeping the smallest in a cot until 3, even if he has a bed in the same room as the bunks he will still want to climb up.

I think the thing is with bunks/high sleepers is to get decent sturdy ones that can take and adult weight, I find it easier to change the mattress by climbing up there rather than taking it down every time. I also climb up for a cuddle at bedtime (I am only 5' 5'' though, not so easy if you are tall I suppose).

madmotherof2 Tue 19-Jan-16 10:02:10

Ds1 had a bunk bed from 7 years old and DS2 got a mid sleeper last summer aged 6.5.

Personally I wouldn't want a child in one any younger than 6. I didn't want DS2 to have one at all as he does have great eye sight so worried about not being able to get down safely .

Gisla Tue 19-Jan-16 10:06:27

No need for that Sometimesithinkimbonkers he was only in the toddler bed so long because we were saving up for a new bed for him. When it was clear he was too long for it, he got a new bed.

Blingygolightly Tue 19-Jan-16 11:42:28

Dd 7, still sleeps in the same bed that she was in as a baby. It was a cot first then both bars came down and turned into her bed. It's only now that she has reached the bottom of it that we are looking at new bed. It was an expensive bed but it's still in mint condition. I think I have had my money's worth.grin

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now